Blue Devils triumph in first round yet againMar 24, 2013 - 8:31 PM Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Tricia Liston scored 20 points and Haley Peters posted a double-double as the second-seed Duke Blue Devils topped the 15th- seed Hampton Lady Pirates, 67-51, in first round action of the NCAA Tournament at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Peters had 12 points and 10 rebounds for Duke (31-2) which is a perfect 18-0 all-time in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Elizabeth Williams added 18 points and six rebounds and Alexis Jones tallied 11 points and 10 assists for the Blue Devils as well. Duke advances to face Oklahoma State in the round of 32.
Keiara Avant registered 18 points and seven rebounds, Olivia Allen added 15 points and Ariel Phelps brought in 10 rebounds to go with eight points for Hampton (28-6).
The Blue Devils dominated the first half and led 32-15 at the break by holding the Lady Pirates to just seven field goals on 21.2 percent shooting.
After the break Hampton improved to 43.3 percent shooting but it wasn't enough against Duke which clocked in at a 50 percent shooting rate in the final 20 minutes.
Duke had a 44-36 edge on the boards and assisted on 21 of 28 field goals while collecting 10 steals. Hampton was the nation's leader in points allowed (47.2 pg) entering play but gave up more than 60 points for just the third time this season in the losing effort.
- HAMPTON: 51
Mar 24 1:55 PM
- HAMPTON: 15
Mar 24 12:47 PM
- HAMPTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 24 12:07 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1
- No. 22 Duke women beat Boston College 71-51 Jan 17
- North Carolina State beats No. 22 Duke women in Durham 65-62 Jan 15
- Defense dominates as Louisville women whip No. 18 Duke 65-48 Jan 10