No. 2 Duke takes down No. 5 KentuckyDec 22, 2013 - 10:39 PM Lexington, KY (SportsNetwork.com) - Tricia Liston poured in 28 points to help the second-ranked Duke Blue Devils to a 69-61 win over No. 5 Kentucky on Sunday.
Elizabeth Williams scored 17 points, while Haley Peters and Alexis Jones each chipped in with nine for Duke (12-1), which has won two straight following its lone loss to UConn this past Tuesday.
Janee Thompson was the lone Wildcat (11-1) in double-figures with 12 points and Samarie Walker added eight points and a game-high 13 rebounds.
Linnae Harper tied the game at 17 with a layup midway through the first half, but Duke went on a 12-2 run.
Liston hit a layup to break the tie as the Blue Devils ran off nine straight during the run. Bria Goss made a layup for Kentucky's lone points in the sequence and the bucket halted nearly five minutes of scoreless basketball for the Wildcats. Peters capped the run with a 3-point play with 4:10 remaining in the first.
Duke scored the final seven points in the first and brought a 36-24 lead into the locker room.
Kentucky cut the deficit to seven less than three minutes into the second after a Walker jumper.
Duke responded with another string of seven straight points to extend the cushion to 47-33.
Kentucky chipped away and pulled within four, 59-55, after a pair of free throws from Thompson. Duke, however, answered with an 8-2 run that put the game away with less than four minutes left.
- DUKE: 69
Dec 22 5:03 PM
- DUKE: 36
Dec 22 3:56 PM
- DUKE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 22 3:12 PM
- Kentucky's Mitchell dispels notion of scandal in open letter May 13
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Jennings becomes seventh player to transfer from Kentucky May 4
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Kentucky's mass exit: 6 players have left program since fall Apr 27
- Kentucky grants forward Batouly Camara release from program Apr 25
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- Washington women beat Kentucky 85-72 to reach regional final Mar 25
- Washington-Kentucky Preview Mar 24
- Kentucky's Epps expecting to play against Washington Mar 24
- Kentucky pulls away from Oklahoma 79-58 in NCAA second round Mar 21