Washington upends No. 14 Texas A&MDec 7, 2006 - 6:43 AM SEATTLE (Ticker) -- It's not taking long for Texas A&M to feel the effects of losing its leading scorer.
Cameo Hicks scored 16 points as Washington defeated No. 14 Texas A&M, sending the Aggies to their second straight loss.
A&M lost Morenike Atunrase to a broken foot in Friday's 79-66 loss at Rice. She is expected to be out four to six weeks.
Danielle Gant filled in admirably for Atunrase, pacing the Aggies (6-2) with 24 points and 13 rebounds on 11-of-13 shooting.
But the game was decided at the free-throw line. The Huskies (4-4) converted 22-of-28 at the stripe, while the Aggies were a dismal 4-of-14.
Andrea Plouffe scored 13 points and made 9-of-10 foul shots for Washington, which led, 33-23, at halftime.
Takia Starks scored 17 points for Texas A&M, which made just 1-of-7 from 3-point range.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TEXAS A&M (14) 23 36 59
WASHINGTON 33 32 65 FINAL
Dec 7 12:07 AM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
TEXAS A&M (14) 23
WASHINGTON 33 0:00 LEFT, 1ST HALF
Dec 6 10:52 PM
- Washington coach Mike Neighbors signs contract extension May 13
- Washington women crack under Syracuse pressure, 80-59 Apr 4
- Syracuse women beat Washington 80-59, reach NCAA title game Apr 4
- Washington-Syracuse Preview Apr 2
- Huskies, Orange try to keep changes under wraps for rematch Apr 2
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Washington women beat Kentucky 85-72 to reach regional final Mar 25
- Washington-Kentucky Preview Mar 24
- Kentucky's Epps expecting to play against Washington Mar 24
- Washington relishing NCAA tourney run to Sweet 16 Mar 23