Smith helps Duke roll over TexasDec 10, 2006 - 10:36 PM DURHAM, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Wanisha Smith made sure that Duke closed out its tough stretch with flying colors.
Smith scored 18 points and Lindsey Harding added 14 as the fourth-ranked Blue Devils overcame poor early shooting for an 80-52 victory over No. 22 Texas.
It was the third straight win over a ranked foe for Duke (9-0), which beat Rutgers, Vanderbilt and the Longhorns by an average of 29.2 points.
Smith converted 7-of-10 free throws and grabbed eight rebounds for the Blue Devils, who went 23-of-30 (77 percent) from the line to balance out 39 percent (27-of-70) from the floor.
Abby Waner had 13 points and six steals and Alison Bales scored 10 for Duke, which held a 42-18 advantage in points in the paint and finished with 23 second-chance points off 20 offensive rebounds.
Earnesia Williams scored 13 points and Carla Cortijo added 11 and eight boards for Texas (7-2), which finished with 33 turnovers, leading to 29 points for Duke.
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- UConn heads to 9th straight Final Four after beating Texas Mar 28
- Texas-UConn Preview Mar 27
- Auriemma has no apologies for UConn's dominance Mar 27
- Texas comes from behind to beat UCLA 72-64 in Bridgeport Mar 26
- UCLA-Texas Preview Mar 25
- UCLA and Texas play in Bridgeport's "other" semifinal Mar 25
- Atkins and Texas overpowers Missouri 73-55 to Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Missouri-Texas Preview Mar 20