Cole helps GW avoid second-half collaspeDec 16, 2006 - 10:55 PM WASHINGTON (Ticker) -- Kenan Cole scored 15 points as No. 20 George Washington held off a second-half rally for a 62-51 victory over Auburn.
Leading, 36-23, at the half, the Colonials (9-2) saw that sizeable advantage sliced to just 45-44 on a layup by Trevesha Jackson with 9:05 to play. Sarah-Jo Lawrence answered back with a layup and George Washington was able to stay on top despite the lead being cut to one once more.
Cole, who scored seven points in the final 5:39, grabbed eight rebounds and handed out five assists.
Lawrence scored 14 points, Kimberly Beck 12 and Jessica Adair 10 for the Colonials, who improved to 6-0 at home despite being outrebounded, 49-37, and having their reserves outscored, 26-5.
Jackson finished with 11 points and DeWanna Bonner added 10 and 10 rebounds for the Tigers (9-3), who put together a 21-7 run early in the second half.
Auburn had a six-game winning streak snapped.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
AUBURN 23 28 51
GEO WASHINGTON (20) 36 26 62 FINAL
Dec 16 3:49 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
GEO WASHINGTON (20) 36 HALFTIME
Dec 16 2:48 PM
- George Washington hires Rizzotti as women's basketball coach Apr 15
- Tsipis resigns as George Washington women's hoops coach Mar 28
- Baylor women to 8th straight Sweet 16, beat Auburn 84-52 Mar 20
- Auburn-Baylor Preview Mar 19
- Baylor women have old score to settle at home vs. Auburn Mar 19
- Auburn women win in 1st NCAA since '09, beating St. John's Mar 18
- Kansas State gets 1st NCAA tournament win since 2012 Mar 18
- Auburn-St. John's Preview Mar 17
- Kansas St.-George Washington Preview Mar 17
- George Washington rallies by Duquesne for A10 women's title Mar 6
- No. 3 South Carolina women turn up D, beat Auburn 57-48 Mar 4
- Auburn women hold off Missouri 47-45 in SEC second round Mar 3