Duke finishes regular season unbeatenFeb 26, 2007 - 1:10 AM DURHAM, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Alison Bales scored 16 points, grabbed 12 rebounds and blocked four shots as No. 1 Duke completed the first perfect season in Atlantic Coast Conference history with a 67-62 victory over No. 4 North Carolina.
Bales shot 6-of-11 from the floor and had four assists for the Blue Devils (29-0, 14-0 ACC), who won, 64-53, at North Carolina on February 8 in a 1-vs-2 matchup which snapped a five-game losing streak to the Tar Heels.
Lindsay Harding had 15 points and eight rebounds and Joy Cheek added eight and 14 for Duke, which shot 38 percent (23-of-61).
Abby Waner collected 13 points and six steals for the Blue Devils, who had already clinched the top seed in the conference tournament and are a virtual lock to be a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.
North Carolina (27-3, 11-3) took a 56-55 lead with 7:46 remaining on Camille Little's 3-pointer, but Duke held the Tar Heels scoreless for nearly seven minutes.
Erlana Larkins scored 18 points, grabbed 19 rebounds and blocked three shots for North Carolina, which shot 40 percent (24-of-60).
Ivory Latta had 19 points and Little added 12 for the Tar Heels, who finished second in the conference standings.
Duke overcame shooting just 46 percent (15-of-33) from the free-throw line by forcing 20 turnovers leading to 15 points.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTH CAROLINA (4) 30 32 62
DUKE (1) 35 32 67 FINAL
Feb 25 6:06 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
NORTH CAROLINA (4) 30
DUKE (1) 35 HALFTIME
Feb 25 4:49 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1