Florida State upends second-seeded StanfordMar 20, 2007 - 5:15 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- Stanford became the highest seed to be eliminated in the NCAA Tournament.
Mara Freshour scored 15 points, including four free throws in the final 38 seconds, to lift 10th-seeded Florida State to a 78-71 upset of the second-seeded Cardinal in the Fresno Regional.
The Seminoles (24-9) advanced to a regional semifinal matchup against Louisiana State on Saturday in Fresno.
Shante Williams scored 16 points and Alicia Gladden added 12, including seven in a row in a 11-0 run that gave Florida State a 60-50 lead with 5:13 left.
Stanford (29-5) rallied and closed within 64-61 on Kristen Newlin's layup with 51 seconds left, but Fresnour buried a pair of free throws 13 seconds later and added two more with 26 seconds left.
Candice Wiggins scored 19 points and freshman Jayne Appel added 14 and three blocks for the Cardinal, who were just 7-of-14 from the stripe.
- FRESNO REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB FRESNO REGIONAL
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
FLORIDA ST (10) 25 43 68
STANFORD (2) 29 32 61 FINAL
Mar 20 12:29 AM
- FRESNO REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB (10) FLORIDA ST 25
(2) STANFORD 29 HALFTIME
Mar 19 11:17 PM
- Illinois center Chatrice White transfers to Florida State May 14
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Florida State women look to make good on president's pick Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22