Parker helps Tennessee women edge DukeJan 29, 2008 - 3:54 AM DURHAM, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Candace Parker scored 17 points and grabbed 12 rebounds to lead second-ranked Tennessee to its eighth consecutive win, a 67-64 victory over No. 10 Duke on Monday.
Freshman Angie Bjorklund finished with 13 points and Shannon Bobbitt added 11 for the Lady Volunteers (18-1), who overcame shooting 40 percent (22-of-55) and committing 23 turnovers by scoring 21 second-chance points.
The Blue Devils (15-5) , who were outrebounded, 40-29, failed to convert any second-chance opportunities.
Chante Black and Jasmine Thomas each had 13 points and Wanisha Smith collected 12 for Duke, which shot 44 percent (26-of-59) from the field en route to its first home loss since March 4, 2006. The winning streak at Cameron Indoor Stadium lasted 24 games.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TENNESSEE (2) 33 34 67
DUKE (10) 33 31 64 FINAL
Jan 28 9:03 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(2) TENNESSEE 33
(10) DUKE 33 HALFTIME
Jan 28 7:46 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26