Appel, Pederson help Stanford edge RutgersNov 12, 2007 - 4:24 AM PISCATAWAY, New Jersey (Ticker) -- Jayne Appel scored 18 points and grabbed 13 rebounds and Kayla Pederson added 15 and 16 as No. 8 Stanford upset third-ranked Rutgers, 60-58, on Sunday.
It was the first game for the Scarlet Knights since radio host Don Imus' racially charged comments - aimed at Rutgers' players - caused the media giant to get fired from his perch.
The Scarlet Knights (0-1), who were thrust into the spotlight because of the incident, did not respond well in their first appearance since the scandal.
Appel shot 9-of-16 from the floor and blocked two shots, while Pederson dished out four assists to help the Cardinal (2-0) overcome committing 20 turnovers and shooting just 35 percent (21-of-60).
Stanford trailed, 37-36, at the break, but held Rutgers to a dismal 29 percent (8-of-28) shooting in the second half. The Scarlet Knights went just 2-of-14 from the arc after the intermission.
Epiphanny Prince had 21 points and nine rebounds and Essence Carson chipped in 15 and 10 boards for Rutgers, which shot 30 percent (23-of-58) for the game but were outrebounded, 50-32.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
STANFORD (8) 36 24 60
RUTGERS (3) 37 21 58 FINAL
Nov 11 10:04 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(8) STANFORD 36
(3) RUTGERS 37 HALFTIME
Nov 11 8:54 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18