Tennessee survives another close call vs. North CarolinaDec 3, 2007 - 4:27 AM KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Candace Parker had 21 points and 16 rebounds to power No. 1 Tennessee past fourth-ranked North Carolina, 83-79, on Sunday in a rematch from last season's Final Four.
The Lady Volunteers downed the Tar Heels, 56-50, on their way to their first national championship in nine seasons and seventh overall.
Alexis Hornbuckle added 25 points for Tennessee (6-0), which won despite being outrebounded, 57-39.
The Lady Vols held their largest lead at 74-61 with 6:28 left before the Tar Heels went on a 17-5 run - capped by a steal and layup by Italee Lucas - to bring North Carolina within 79-78. But Hornbuckle sank two free throws and hit a layup in the final 14 seconds to preserve the win.
Erlana Larkins scored 22 points and grabbed 15 rebounds for the Tar Heels, who hit only one of their 10 attempts from the arc.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTH CAROLINA (4) 40 39 79
TENNESSEE (1) 42 41 83 FINAL
Dec 2 9:18 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(4) NORTH CAROLINA 40
(1) TENNESSEE 42 HALFTIME
Dec 2 7:53 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21