Smith's 12 points helps Kentucky topple GeorgiaFeb 1, 2008 - 4:30 AM ATHENS, Georgia (Ticker) -- Amber Smith scored 12 points and grabbed seven rebounds as Kentucky posted a 47-44 Southeastern Conference victory over No. 14 Georgia on Thursday.
Sarah Elliott had nine points and eight rebounds and Victoria Dunlap and Samantha Mahoney each scored eight for the Wildcats (11-10, 5-2 SEC), who won in Athens for the first time since 1994.
Smith, who connected on 4-of-11 shots from the floor, drilled two free throws with 5.6 seconds to play to help nail down the victory for Kentucky. Elliott also made 4-of-11 from the field for the Wildcats, who shot 32 percent (18-of-57).
Wooden Award candidate Tasha Humphrey scored 20 points and hauled in eight rebounds for the Lady Bulldogs (16-5, 3-3), who shot a paltry 28 percent (15-of-53) from the field and saw their four-game winning streak over the Wildcats end.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
KENTUCKY 20 27 47
GEORGIA (14) 27 17 44 FINAL
Jan 31 8:51 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(14) GEORGIA 27 HALFTIME
Jan 31 7:48 PM
- Guard Taja Cole transferring from Louisville to Georgia May 17
- Kentucky's Mitchell dispels notion of scandal in open letter May 13
- Jennings becomes seventh player to transfer from Kentucky May 4
- Kentucky's mass exit: 6 players have left program since fall Apr 27
- Kentucky grants forward Batouly Camara release from program Apr 25
- Washington women beat Kentucky 85-72 to reach regional final Mar 25
- Washington-Kentucky Preview Mar 24
- Kentucky's Epps expecting to play against Washington Mar 24
- Kentucky pulls away from Oklahoma 79-58 in NCAA second round Mar 21
- Oklahoma-Kentucky Preview Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky, No. 6 Oklahoma aim to keep up the good work Mar 20
- Buss scores 23, No. 9 seed Indiana defeats Georgia 62-58 Mar 20