No. 25 UTEP clinches first conference titleFeb 24, 2008 - 11:42 PM ORLANDO, Florida (Ticker) -- Jareica Hughes scored 23 points and had nine assists to lead No. 25 Texas El Paso to an 89-74 victory over Central Florida on Sunday.
The victory clinched the Conference USA regular-season title for the Miners, the first conference championship in the 34-year history of the program.
The victory was the 19th straight for UTEP (23-2, 14-0). Marshay White scored 23 points for the Lady Knights (9-18, 2-12). Tia Lewis finished with 15 points and eight rebounds for UCF, which has lost 12 of its last 14 games.
The Miners led at halftime, 45-30, before an 11-0 run by UCF cut the Miners' advantage to 56-52 with 13:09 remaining. The Lady Knights trailed, 60-56, after a jumper by Jackie Akers with 11:21 left before UTEP scored the next seven points to extend its lead back to 11 points.
Kasia Krezel and Natasha Lacy each scored 15 points for the Miners. Izabela Piekarska scored 14 points and Timika Williams added 11 for UTEP.
Emma Cannon had 12 points, five rebounds and six steals for UCF. Chelsie Wiley scored 11 points for UCF.
- UCF fires women's basketball coach Joi Williams Mar 7
- Laksa leads No. 15 South Florida women past Central Florida Jan 24
- No. 1 UConn women top UCF 106-51 for 54th win in a row Jan 20
- No. 22 South Florida women rout Central Florida 108-63 Jan 5
- Rutgers edges UTEP for Women's NIT crown Apr 5
- Top-ranked UConn routs UCF, remains unbeaten Feb 19
- No. 4 Louisville breezes past UCF Feb 4
- Louisville runs past UCF Jan 15
- No. 1 UConn rolls past UCF Jan 1
- Penn State tops UTEP to advance Mar 18
- Buckeyes beat back Knights in tourney opener Mar 19
- No. 3 Notre Dame rolls past UCF 85-52 Dec 29