UConn pulls away from Rutgers for Big East titleMar 4, 2008 - 3:07 AM HARTFORD, Connecticut (Ticker) -- Connecticut learned its lesson and this time there was no second-half comeback for Rutgers.
The top-ranked Huskies again led the Scarlet Knights at the half, but this time they not only held on but pulled away for a 66-46 victory Monday to win the Big East Conference regular-season title.
Renee Montgomery scored 21 points and freshman sensation Maya Moore had 19. Tina Charles added 15 points and 17 rebounds for the Huskies (29-1, 15-1 Big East), who are the top seed and will receive a bye for this weekend's Big East tournament.
On February 5, Connecticut held a nine-point lead at the half against Rutgers, but the Scarlet Knights rallied behind Epiphanny Prince for a 73-71 win.
Prince scored a career-high 33 points in the first meeting between the teams but was held scoreless in the first half Monday and finished with just five.
Connecticut led, 28-23, at the half and turned up the defense over the final 20 minutes. The Huskies shot 58 percent (15-of-26) from the field in the second half and limited the Scarlet Knights to 32 percent (9-of-28).
Essence Carson scored 15 points for Rutgers (24-5, 14-2), which will be the No. 2 seed this weekend and also gets a bye into the quarterfinals.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
RUTGERS (4) 23 23 46
CONNECTICUT (1) 28 38 66 FINAL
Mar 3 8:58 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(4) RUTGERS 23
(1) CONNECTICUT 28 HALFTIME
Mar 3 7:49 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2