Philadelphia torches FloridaNov 14, 2010 - 4:09 AM
Scott Hartnell also scored while Ville Leino and Kimmo Timonen each posted two assists for the Flyers, who have reeled off eight victories in their last nine games.
Sergei Bobrovsky earned his 10th win of the season with a 34-save performance and picked up his first NHL point with an assist.
Cory Stillman and Mike Santorelli scored for the Panthers, who had won two in a row coming in. Scott Clemmensen took the loss, after he was torched for all five goals on 42 shots.
"I thought we were ready to play," lamented Panthers head coach Peter DeBoer. "I thought we were with them for the first 12 minutes. We made a couple mental mistakes from that point. They're a great hockey team, arguably the hottest in the league and they will make you pay."
Already ahead by two, the Flyers seized control of the contest for good with a three-goal middle period.
First, it was Richards, who notched his second of the game on a power play at the 7:46 mark of the second period when he gathered the rebound of a point blast by Chris Pronger and once again beat Clemmensen high from the right circle.
"I see Richards' confidence building. He was really flying out there tonight, noted Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette. "He was a noticeable player. He had a lot of speed in his game, a lot of attack too. I thought his line was very good, they had a nice flow."
Giroux was credited with the Flyers' fourth goal of the contest, coming at 9:11, when his body was the last one the puck touched in a goalmouth scramble. A brief review upheld the score, which came prior to the net being dislodged slightly.
Giroux then moved to the backhand and scored under the crossbar on a breakaway with 8:33 to play in the second, before Florida got on the board less than a minute later when Stillman redirected a left-point shot from Keaton Ellerby.
Bobrovsky held through most of the third period, making two point-blank saves on Radek Dvorak just prior to the midway point. He kept his pad to the post to stop a Rostislav Olesz wraparound a minute later, then slid across inside of four minutes left to stop another Florida chance from in close.
Santorelli tallied with 2:11 remaining but it was far too late for a Panthers comeback.
The Flyers hit the scoreboard with 7:46 left in the first period, as Richards took a feed from Andreas Nodl in the high slot, evaded a Florida defender and ripped a wrister over Clemmensen's glove.
It was 2-0 for Philadelphia when Leino set up Hartnell at the left side of the crease for an easy tap-in almost 2 1/2 minutes later.
Prior to the contest, the Flyers announced that they have agreed to terms with forward Jeff Carter on a multi-year contract extension that TSN of Canada reports is worth $58 million over 11 years...The Panthers scratched forward Steve Bernier, who was expected to undergo facial surgery on Saturday after getting the butt-end of Minnesota Wild defenseman Brent Burns' stick in his face on Friday...Florida had taken three of four last season from Philadelphia...Nodl left the game in the second period and did not return after blocking a shot..x-rays taken later proved negative.
- FLORIDA: 2
Nov 13 9:35 PM
- Florida Goal - Michael Santorelli (4), at 17:49.
Panthers 2, Flyers 5 3rd - 2:11Nov 13 9:30 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 13 8:45 PM
- Florida Goal - Cory Stillman (2), at 12:23.
Panthers 1, Flyers 5 2nd - 7:37Nov 13 8:31 PM
- Darcy Hordichuk snap shot on Sergei Bobrovsky.
Panthers 0, Flyers 5 2nd - 8:12Nov 13 8:29 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Claude Giroux (8), at 9:11.
Panthers 0, Flyers 4 2nd - 10:49Nov 13 8:20 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Mike Richards (6), from Jeff Carter and Chris Pronger at 7:46.
Panthers 0, Flyers 3 2nd - 12:14Nov 13 8:17 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
End of 1st
Nov 13 7:44 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Scott Hartnell (6), at 15:38.
Panthers 0, Flyers 2 1st - 4:22Nov 13 7:36 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Mike Richards (5), at 12:14.
Panthers 0, Flyers 1 1st - 7:46Nov 13 7:28 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 13 7:08 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26