Conner's late score pushes Penguins past PanthersNov 23, 2010 - 5:57 AM
Sidney Crosby had a goal and an assist while Kris Letang also lit the lamp for the Penguins, who have won three straight and five of their last six. Marc- Andre Fleury stopped 27 shots in the win.
"I thought we played well in the first and they were better in the second, third was 50-50," said Crosby. "We came up with some big penalty kills to keep us in it and Marc made the saves that kept us in it."
Cory Stillman and Bryan McCabe each scored for the Panthers, who had won three straight at home. Tomas Vokoun made 23 saves in the loss.
"It was a tough start to the game and we were down 2-0 early," said Vokoun. "Sometimes people make good plays, but you still want to make the saves when you have to. It's not gonna be the case every night and tonight was one of those nights."
With the score tied in the third, Pittsburgh took a 3-2 lead with 7:04 left. Mark Letestu was covered well by the defense but still managed to send a backhand pass to the front, where Conner wristed it home.
Fleury stopped seven shots in the third to help Pittsburgh take the win.
Pittsburgh opened the scoring 4:07 into the first period on the power play as Letang's big blast from the right point sailed past Vokoun for a 1-0 lead.
Exactly seven minutes later, the Pens took a 2-0 lead with another power-play marker as a pass from Tyler Kennedy to Crosby in the slot saw Crosby tuck the puck behind Vokoun for a 2-0 lead.
With just 35 seconds left in the first, Florida made it a 2-1 game on Stillman's third goal of the season.
The Panthers tied the game 6:47 into the second as McCabe beat Fleury with a snap shot for his second goal of the season.
Pittsburgh, which has won three straight on the road, plays at Buffalo on Wednesday...Florida hosts Boston on Wednesday...The Penguins took three of four from Florida last season...Crosby has nine goals and 11 assists during a nine-game point streak...The Pens were 2-for-3 on the power play, while Florida failed on its five chances.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
Nov 22 10:00 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Chris Conner, from Mark Letestu at 12:56.
Penguins 3, Panthers 2 3rd - 7:04Nov 22 9:45 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
End of Regulation
Nov 22 9:10 PM
- Florida Goal - Bryan McCabe (2), from David Booth at 6:47.
Penguins 2, Panthers 2 2nd - 13:13Nov 22 8:45 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
End of 2nd
Nov 22 8:15 PM
- Jason Garrison slap shot on Marc-Andre Fleury.
Penguins 2, Panthers 1 1st - 0:37Nov 22 8:12 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Sidney Crosby (15), from Tyler Kennedy and Evgeni Malkin at 11:07.
Penguins 2, Panthers 0 1st - 8:53Nov 22 7:57 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Kris Letang (4), at 4:07.
Penguins 1, Panthers 0 1st - 15:53Nov 22 7:45 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 22 7:39 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17