Canadiens continue to have Kings' numberNov 25, 2010 - 4:44 AM
Mike Cammalleri, Tomas Plekanec and Lars Eller also scored for the Canadiens, who have won their last six games against Los Angeles.
Jonathan Bernier started in the Kings' net as Jonathan Quick rested, and gave up all four goals on 33 shots. Alec Martinez scored his first career goal for LA, which has lost two in a row and five of six overall.
"The outcome was unacceptable," said LA forward Ryan Smyth. "But you have to give them credit, they played hard from start to finish. There were spurts throughout the game where I thought we were all right. But overall we have to be better."
Kostitsyn's goal came during a power play, as he carried the puck into the Kings' zone before burying a wrister from the right circle at 9:59.
Cammalleri made it a 2-0 game with 2:23 left in the first, though Martinez got the goal back shortly into the middle period.
With Los Angeles on the man advantage, Justin Williams sent the puck from the left point toward the goal, and Martinez backhanded it into the net at 1:57.
"Smyth took a shot on the ankle, and I went down," Price said. "My pad got hooked on his leg. I just didn't have a chance to get across. But I don't know why it wasn't called for interference."
But a little more than a minute later, Plekanec's slap shot gave Montreal a 3-1 lead. Then, with 1:53 left in the second, Eller wristed a shot as he turned in the slot, and the puck got by Bernier.
Price made nine saves in the third period to secure the win.
This was the only meeting of the season between the teams. The Kings have not beaten Montreal since March 8, 2003...Williams recorded his 13th assist and has a team-best 22 points. He has gone without a point in only three games this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Nov 24 9:59 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 1
End of Regulation
Nov 24 9:09 PM
- Montreal Goal - Lars Eller, at 18:07.
Kings 1, Canadiens 4 2nd - 1:53Nov 24 9:05 PM
- Montreal Goal - Tomas Plekanec (8), at 3:16.
Kings 1, Canadiens 3 2nd - 16:44Nov 24 8:38 PM
- P.K. Subban slap shot is wide.
Kings 1, Canadiens 2 2nd - 17:36Nov 24 8:37 PM
- Justin Williams wrist shot on Carey Price.
Kings 0, Canadiens 2 2nd - 18:04Nov 24 8:36 PM
- Los Angeles Power-Play Goal - Alec Martinez, at 1:57.
Kings 1, Canadiens 2 2nd - 18:03Nov 24 8:36 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
End of 2nd
Nov 24 8:14 PM
- Montreal Goal - Scott Gomez (3), at 17:37.
Kings 0, Canadiens 2 1st - 2:23Nov 24 8:11 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - Andrei Kostitsyn (8), at 9:59.
Kings 0, Canadiens 1 1st - 10:01Nov 24 7:54 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 24 7:39 PM
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Doughty, Karlsson, Burns finalists for Norris Trophy Apr 29
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- Rested Sharks ready to face rolling Predators in 2nd round Apr 28