Zetterberg, red-hot Red Wings down SharksDec 1, 2010 - 8:46 AM
Pavel Datsyuk tallied a goal and two assists while Dan Cleary and Patrick Eaves also scored for the Red Wings, who have won three straight and eight of their last 10 games overall (8-1-1).
Jimmy Howard allowed three goals on 28 shots in the victory.
"It's fun when it clicks," Zetterberg said. "We find each other out there and the puck goes in."
Dany Heatley, Benn Ferriero and Ryan Clowe scored for the Sharks, who fell to 2-3-2 over their last seven contests. Antero Niittymaki finished with 24 saves in the loss.
After Cleary's 11th goal opened the scoring on the power play 4:50 into the game, a nifty move by Datsyuk made it 2-0. Datsyuk split a pair of defenders in the slot, moved in alone, waited out Niittymaki and slid the disc into the back of the cage near the left post at 8:01 of the first period.
Less than two minutes later, the Sharks cut their deficit in half. On the power play, Joe Thornton held control along the goal line to the right of the net and sent the disc into the goal mouth before it deflected off of Heatley and went in.
Zetterberg's eighth goal of 2010-11 restored Detroit's two-goal lead 2:58 into the middle stanza. Datsyuk held the puck in the right circle and sent a cross- ice pass to Brian Rafalski inside the opposite circle. Rafalski quickly sent a soft pass into the slot, where a snap shot one-timer by Zetterberg lit the lamp.
Soon after, Ferriero's backhander from the top of the crease -- as he was falling to the ice -- brought San Jose within 3-2 at the 4:52 mark.
With only 11 seconds to go before the second intermission, Detroit again regained a two-goal lead when Cleary's one-timer from above the left circle was deflected home by Eaves from in front.
Datsyuk and Zetterberg worked their magic for a 5-2 advantage at 7:55 of the final stanza. Datsyuk picked up the pick inside the left circle, moved into the slot and sent a pass back to Zetterberg for a tally from the left post.
Clowe's fifth goal of the season with 2:32 remaining capped the scoring.
"I thought early we had some real good chances in the first [period]," Heatley said. "We had hung around and made some good plays to score some goals on."
With an assist, Thornton recorded his 500th point in a Sharks uniform on the fifth anniversary of his trade to San Jose...Datsyuk has 19 assists this season...Tomas Holmstrom had the only four penalty minutes for Detroit, which was won six of the last eight meetings with San Jose...Howard made 14 saves in the first period...The Sharks were 1-for-2 on the power play, while Detroit ended 1-for-4 with the extra skater...Attendance was 17,562.
- DETROIT: 5
SAN JOSE: 3
Dec 1 12:56 AM
- Justin Braun slap shot on Jimmy Howard.
Red Wings 5, Sharks 3 3rd - 2:33Dec 1 12:49 AM
- Johan Franzen shot blocked by Marc-Edouard Vlasic.
Red Wings 5, Sharks 2 3rd - 11:30Dec 1 12:34 AM
- DETROIT: 4
SAN JOSE: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 1 12:04 AM
- Detroit Goal - Patrick Eaves, at 19:49.
Red Wings 4, Sharks 2 2nd - 0:11Dec 1 12:04 AM
- San Jose Goal - Benn Ferriero (2), at 4:52.
Red Wings 3, Sharks 2 2nd - 15:08Nov 30 11:38 PM
- Detroit Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (8), from Brian Rafalski and Pavel Datsyuk at 2:58.
Red Wings 3, Sharks 1 2nd - 17:02Nov 30 11:35 PM
- DETROIT: 2
SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Nov 30 11:14 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Joe Thornton (7), at 9:35.
Red Wings 2, Sharks 1 1st - 10:25Nov 30 10:56 PM
- Detroit Goal - Pavel Datsyuk (8), at 8:01.
Red Wings 2, Sharks 0 1st - 11:59Nov 30 10:53 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Dan Cleary (11), from Henrik Zetterberg and Valtteri Filppula at 4:50.
Red Wings 1, Sharks 0 1st - 15:10Nov 30 10:46 PM
- Patrick Marleau wrist shot on Jimmy Howard.
Nov 30 10:39 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19