Crosby adds to hat collection as Pens win eighth straightDec 3, 2010 - 5:20 AM
Crosby also had a hat trick in the Penguins' last home game -- a 4-1 win over the Flames on Saturday -- and extended his point streak to 14 games.
Marc-Andre Fleury made 20 saves for Pittsburgh, which has won eight in a row for the first time since December 23, 2007-January 10, 2008.
"That's something you expect from him, because we see him every day," Fleury said of Crosby. "But it still amazes me how good he is, how hard he works to get better."
Bryan Little and Nik Antropov each lit the lamp for the Thrashers, who were trying for a club-record seventh straight victory.
Ondrej Pavelec turned aside 25-of-28 shots in defeat.
"It is what it is. We have to keep our heads up," Pavelec said. "They're on a roll; we're on a roll. We just lost one game. We've got to be ready for Saturday."
The Thrashers got a power-play goal from Little at the 6:21 mark of the first period. A shot from the right point set up a rebound in front for Little, who chipped the puck past Fleury. The Penguins came into the game without allowing a power-play goal in nine straight games.
Pittsburgh tied the contest at the 7:32 mark on Crosby's first goal of the night. Chris Kunitz controlled the puck at the bottom of the left circle and slid a pass in front for Crosby, who put the disc into the back of the net despite fanning on his first attempt.
Crosby's backhander on a breakaway just 4:24 into the second stanza made it a 2-1 game.
The natural trifecta was completed at the 10:18 mark. Brooks Orpik's shot from the left point deflected off Crosby's stick and past Pavelec for a 3-1 lead.
Atlanta made it a one-goal contest with 1:26 remaining. Antropov controlled the puck at the left circle and slid a pass down low to Niclas Bergfors, who passed right back to Antropov. This time around, Antropov fired a snap shot past Fleury.
Fleury made five saves in the third to preserve the victory.
Pittsburgh has won 10 of its last 11 overall versus the Thrashers, including a 4-2 victory in Atlanta on November 13. Atlanta has lost its last eight trips to Pittsburgh, where it hasn't won since December 27, 2006...Atlanta defenseman Dustin Byfuglien saw a six-game point streak come to an end...Crosby has 15 goals and 14 assists during his point streak...Pittsburgh has won five straight at home.
- ATLANTA: 2
Dec 2 9:27 PM
- ATLANTA: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 2 8:38 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Nik Antropov (7), from Niclas Bergfors at 18:34.
Thrashers 2, Penguins 3 2nd - 1:26Dec 2 8:35 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Sidney Crosby (21), at 10:18.
Thrashers 1, Penguins 3 2nd - 9:42Dec 2 8:18 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Sidney Crosby (20), at 4:24.
Thrashers 1, Penguins 2 2nd - 15:36Dec 2 8:09 PM
- ATLANTA: 1
End of 1st
Dec 2 7:43 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Sidney Crosby, at 7:32.
Thrashers 1, Penguins 1 1st - 12:28Dec 2 7:21 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Bryan Little (5), at 6:21.
Thrashers 1, Penguins 0 1st - 13:39Dec 2 7:20 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 2 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17