Kings get by Panthers on Kopitar's late tallyDec 3, 2010 - 8:11 AM
Jarret Stoll and Peter Harrold also tallied for the Kings, who halted a four- game losing skid. Jonathan Quick got the win with 24 saves.
Michal Repik and David Booth scored for the Panthers, who have lost five of their last six. Tomas Vokoun allowed all three goals on 24 shots in the setback.
"We did a lot of things right, but that doesn't mean a lot in the standings," Florida head coach Peter DeBoer said.
Kopitar lit the lamp with 2:43 left in regulation to give the Kings a 3-2 edge. Dustin Brown took a shot from the right circle that knuckled in on Vokoun. The rebound slid to Kopitar, who didn't miss on the backhand for his ninth goal of the season.
"The whole team was good but the best players came through in the end. It was great to see the winning goal, seeing Kopitar finish it off," Kings head coach Terry Murray said.
Florida went with an extra attacker for the final 1:09 to no avail.
Stoll's tally just after the midway point of the first period gave the Kings a lead, but it only lasted a little more than three minutes before Repik scored on a rebound for the Panthers.
Florida took a 2-1 lead with 4:09 left in the second when Booth uncorked a wrister from the right circle.
Harrold evened things once more at 2:36 of the third period.
Los Angeles has won six in a row over Florida since a 5-2 Panthers victory on November 27, 2002...LA has also taken eight of the last 11 meetings...Both clubs are back in action on Saturday with the Panthers concluding their four- game road swing at Phoenix and the Kings working through their three-game homestand by welcoming Detroit.
- FLORIDA: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
Dec 3 1:01 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Anze Kopitar (9), at 17:17.
Panthers 2, Kings 3 3rd - 2:43Dec 3 12:55 AM
- Kyle Clifford shot blocked by Bryan McCabe.
Panthers 2, Kings 2 3rd - 17:24Dec 3 12:24 AM
- FLORIDA: 2
LOS ANGELES: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 3 12:03 AM
- Florida Goal - David Booth (6), at 15:51.
Panthers 2, Kings 1 2nd - 4:09Dec 2 11:55 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
LOS ANGELES: 1
End of 1st
Dec 2 11:12 PM
- Florida Goal - Michal Repik, at 13:51.
Panthers 1, Kings 1 1st - 6:09Dec 2 11:02 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jarret Stoll, from Justin Williams at 10:24.
Panthers 0, Kings 1 1st - 9:36Dec 2 10:54 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 2 10:38 PM
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1