Couture scores twice as Sharks light up Red WingsDec 7, 2010 - 7:06 AM
Niclas Wallin and Joe Thornton also tallied for the Sharks, who improved to 2-1 on their current five-game road trip.
Antti Niemi won by stopping 25-of-27 shots.
Tomas Holmstrom registered a goal with a helper and Johan Franzen also scored for the Red Wings, whose four-game win streak was halted.
Jimmy Howard took the loss, saddled with all five goals on 35 shots.
"It wasn't there tonight for whatever reason," Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock said.
The Sharks forged ahead with two goals in eight seconds from Wallin on a tip- in of a point blast at 4:53, then Couture ripped a shot high and inside the right post at 5:01 of the middle period.
Heatley then got on the board with 1:03 left in the second when he lifted a shot over Howard's glove to the near post.
Couture's redirection gave the Sharks a 5-2 advantage with 8:43 to play, as a shot from Ryane Clowe deflected off his skate and past Howard. Replay upheld the goal since it was determined there was no kicking motion.
"It's a big win. Winning in this building is fun," said Couture.
Detroit jumped on top at 7:48 of the first when Nicklas Lidstrom's point blast was redirected home by a screening Holmstrom.
Seconds later, Valtteri Filppula broke in and lifted a backhander that Niemi momentarily held, but then trickled over the goal line. The initial call was no goal due to a whistle stopping play, and replay upheld the decision.
San Jose tied things up with 4:01 left in the first while shorthanded when Thornton roofed a shot inside the right post off a cross-ice dish from Heatley.
The Wings took the lead back on a subsequent power play when Franzen beat Niemi with a one-timer from a sharp angle near the goal line at 18:35.
Wallin and Couture's tallies in and eight-second span were the second-fastest in team history...The club record was seven seconds, first achieved by Larry DePalma and Dave Snuggerud in a 7-5 win over Buffalo on November 5, 1992...San Jose won in Detroit for only the sixth time in franchise history, but have taken two in a row in the Motor City...The Sharks also matched their club mark for largest margin of victory in Detroit, first set in a 4-1 win on January 2, 1998.
- SAN JOSE: 5
Dec 6 10:04 PM
- San Jose Goal - Logan Couture (12), from Ryane Clowe at 11:17.
Sharks 5, Red Wings 2 3rd - 8:43Dec 6 9:45 PM
- SAN JOSE: 4
End of 2nd
Dec 6 9:06 PM
- San Jose Goal - Dany Heatley (14), from Douglas Murray at 18:57.
Sharks 4, Red Wings 2 2nd - 1:03Dec 6 9:05 PM
- San Jose Goal - Logan Couture (11), from Ryane Clowe at 5:01.
Sharks 3, Red Wings 2 2nd - 14:59Dec 6 8:42 PM
- San Jose Goal - Dany Heatley (13), from Niclas Wallin and Justin Braun at 4:53.
Sharks 2, Red Wings 2 2nd - 15:07Dec 6 8:41 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Dec 6 8:17 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Johan Franzen (12), from Tomas Holmstrom and Brian Rafalski at 18:35.
Sharks 1, Red Wings 2 1st - 1:25Dec 6 8:15 PM
- San Jose Short-Handed Goal - Joe Thornton (7), from Dany Heatley at 15:59.
Sharks 1, Red Wings 1 1st - 4:01Dec 6 8:10 PM
- Detroit Goal - Tomas Holmstrom, from Nicklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski at 7:48.
Sharks 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 12:12Dec 6 7:54 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 6 7:40 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19