NHL-best Flyers beat Rangers 4-1Dec 19, 2010 - 12:20 AM
Ville Leino and Andreas Nodl also tallied for the Flyers, who have won five in a row and improved to 10-1-3 in their last 14 games.
Philadelphia leads the league with 49 points.
"We did a good job of keeping them to the outside," said Flyers captain Mike Richards. "Their only strong chance that they had was the one that they scored on. Other than that, some shots (Boucher) stayed tall when he needed to be."
Rookie Derek Stepan found the back of the net for New York, which was aiming for a fourth straight victory. Henrik Lundqvist stopped 35 shots in defeat.
"I think that we didn't take care of the puck as good as we needed to. There were too many turnovers," said Rangers forward Brandon Dubinsky.
Zherdev gave Philadelphia the lead at 9:06 of the second period. After his teammates killed off his cross-checking minor, the ex-Ranger came out of the penalty box and accepted a lead pass from Richards before beating Lundqvist on a breakaway.
Nodl scored from his knees off a great pass from Claude Giroux to make it 2-0 at 3:19 of the third period.
New York forward Dale Weise, making his NHL debut, had a goal disallowed at 5:35 because of a distinct kicking motion, but Stepan put the Rangers on the board nearly three minutes later when he drifted down the slot and tapped in Alex Frolov's feed from behind the Philadelphia net.
Leino then deflected a point shot by Kimmo Timonen to restore Philadelphia's two-goal lead midway through the frame.
Zherdev's power-play goal capped the scoring at 15:06.
The Flyers are 9-1-1 against the Atlantic Division...The Rangers have lost four straight games in Philadelphia...New York forward Marian Gaborik played in the 600th game of his career.
- NEW YORK: 1
Dec 18 3:34 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Nikolay Zherdev (13), at 15:06.
Rangers 1, Flyers 4 3rd - 4:54Dec 18 3:25 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Kimmo Timonen (2), at 9:57.
Rangers 1, Flyers 3 3rd - 10:03Dec 18 3:12 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Derek Stepan (9), at 8:23.
Rangers 1, Flyers 2 3rd - 11:37Dec 18 3:06 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Andreas Nodl (8), from Claude Giroux at 3:19.
Rangers 0, Flyers 2 3rd - 16:41Dec 18 2:55 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 2nd
Dec 18 2:33 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Nikolay Zherdev (12), at 9:06.
Rangers 0, Flyers 1 2nd - 10:54Dec 18 2:14 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Dec 18 1:43 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 18 1:08 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25