Weber, Sabres double up slumping OilersDec 29, 2010 - 6:26 AM
The 23-year-old defenseman gave Buffalo a 2-1 lead with his first career goal, flipping a puck on net from just inside the blue line early in the second period.
He scored his second goal into an empty Edmonton net, sending the puck the length of the ice to seal the win with under a minute to play.
"I was just pretty happy to get the first one out of the way," Weber said. "The second one, actually, I was really, really nervous that it was going to go for icing, so I was kind of praying there that it would go in but I kind of lucked out there."
Jochen Hecht added a goal and an assist and Luke Adam also scored for the Sabres, who snapped a two-game losing streak with just their second win in six contests.
Ryan Miller made 29 saves on 31 shots for the victory, helping to send the Oilers to their sixth loss in seven games.
Dustin Penner and Ryan Jones scored for the Oilers while Nikolai Khabibulin allowed three goals on just 20 shots.
Buffalo head coach Lindy Ruff was happy his team was able to get a couple of key goals down the stretch for the win, including Hecht's wrister 2:45 into the third period that gave the Sabres a 3-1 lead.
Jones pulled the Oilers within 3-2, tipping in a pass at 6:18 of the third for his career-high eighth goal of the season.
But the Sabres, behind Miller and Weber, were able to hang on.
"It's great anytime to get to see a guy get his first NHL goal," Ruff said.
The Sabres have won five straight in the series, a streak that dates back to October 16, 2003...Buffalo blew out the Oilers, 10-2, in their last meeting at Rexall Place on Jan. 27, 2009.
- BUFFALO: 4
Dec 28 11:22 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Mike Weber (2), at 19:08.
Sabres 4, Oilers 2 3rd - 0:52Dec 28 11:21 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Jones, from Tom Gilbert at 6:18.
Sabres 3, Oilers 2 3rd - 13:42Dec 28 10:55 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Jochen Hecht (4), at 2:45.
Sabres 3, Oilers 1 3rd - 17:15Dec 28 10:50 PM
- BUFFALO: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 28 10:29 PM
- Sam Gagner shot blocked by Mike Weber.
Sabres 2, Oilers 1 2nd - 16:04Dec 28 10:03 PM
- BUFFALO: 1
End of 1st
Dec 28 9:40 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Luke Adam (2), from Patrick Kaleta and Steve Montador at 17:48.
Sabres 1, Oilers 1 1st - 2:12Dec 28 9:37 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
1st Period - 17:26
Sabres 0, Oilers 1 1st - 17:26Dec 28 9:12 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 28 9:07 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13