Bruins end road trip with win over LeafsJan 4, 2011 - 6:35 AM
Marc Savard potted the other goal for the Bruins, who ended a five-game road trip with a 3-0-2 record. Tuukka Rask turned away 36-of-37 shots to get his third win of the season.
Mikhail Grabovski notched the lone goal for the Leafs, who have lost six of eight. James Reimer made 31 saves in the losing cause.
"To come close in these tight games shows that we're in it," said Toronto defenseman Dion Phaneuf. "We're close here, but we have to find a way to win it and that's the bottom line."
Toronto drew blood first with just under six minutes to play in the first by taking advantage of Boston's ill-timed line change. With one of the Bruins defenders heading toward the bench, Luke Schenn fluttered a pass from his own zone to a streaking Grabovski, who went on the breakaway and backhanded the disc under Rask's legs.
The Bruins tied it up nearly eight minutes into the second period on a strong offensive possession. Horton finished a give-and-go from Dennis Seidenberg with a top-shelf wrister from the high slot.
With 4:30 left in the same frame, Boston went high on Reimer once again to gain a 2-1 edge when Horton fed Savard's rising one-timer from the point.
The score remained the same four minutes into the final period when Rask saved three consecutive shots from his back, which was Toronto's best chance for the equalizer. The young goalie was stellar during the final 20 minutes where he turned away all 18 shots he faced.
Boston has won 11 of the last 14 meetings...The Bruins have notched at least a point in six straight games...Each team was 0-for-1 on the power play.
- BOSTON: 2
Jan 3 9:31 PM
- BOSTON: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 3 8:37 PM
- Boston Goal - Marc Savard (2), from Nathan Horton and Milan Lucic at 15:30.
Bruins 2, Maple Leafs 1 2nd - 4:30Jan 3 8:29 PM
- Boston Goal - Nathan Horton (12), from Dennis Seidenberg at 7:55.
Bruins 1, Maple Leafs 1 2nd - 12:05Jan 3 8:12 PM
- BOSTON: 0
End of 1st
Jan 3 7:40 PM
- Toronto Goal - Mikhail Grabovski (14), from Luke Schenn at 14:08.
Bruins 0, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 5:52Jan 3 7:31 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 3 7:05 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Bruins opt to retain coach Julien for another season Apr 14
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Tortorella: Don't ask NHL coaches to fix stagnant scoring Apr 12