Tampa rallys in third to down OttawaJan 9, 2011 - 6:18 AM
After giving up a goal in the second period, Roloson stopped all 13 shots he faced in the third for the Lightning.
"We played a team that was working hard and we played a tight game," said Tampa head coach Guy Boucher. "We let up in the second period and it almost cost us. I talked to the guys between periods and addressed what I wanted."
Zack Smith scored the only goal for Ottawa and Brian Elliott had 25 saves in a losing cause.
"The effort was there, the physical play was there, the execution was there, the chances were there," said Ottawa head coach Cory Coulston. "Sometimes you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."
The Lightning were able to bounce back from an 8-1 loss at Pittsburgh on Wednesday, but the Senators couldn't do the same after a shootout loss to Chicago on Friday night.
Ottawa saw its losing streak reach five games despite striking first.
Following a scoreless first period, Smith skated with Jesse Winchester on a 2- on-1 late in the second. Winchester hit his teammate with a centering pass and Smith scored to make it 1-0 with 2:35 remaining in the period.
It didn't take long into the final stanza for Tampa Bay to even the score.
As Ottawa had trouble clearing the puck, Lightning forward Dominic Moore came up with it in the slot, skated to the bottom of the left circle and found Hall wide-open in front for an easy goal at 1:47.
The go-ahead goal came less than four minutes later at 5:43 when St. Louis found a loose puck in front of the Ottawa net and stuffed it home for his 18th of the season.
Tampa Bay was 0-for-5 on the power play, while Ottawa went 0-for-3...The Lightning carried a 9-1-2 run into Wednesday's road meeting with the Penguins, who scored seven seconds into the game on the way to the drubbing.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Jan 8 9:46 PM
- Ryan Malone shot blocked by Chris Phillips.
Lightning 2, Senators 1 3rd - 14:17Jan 8 9:13 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Adam Hall (6), at 1:47.
Lightning 1, Senators 1 3rd - 18:13Jan 8 9:05 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 2nd
Jan 8 8:45 PM
- Ottawa Goal - Zack Smith (3), from Jesse Winchester and Ryan Shannon at 17:24.
Lightning 0, Senators 1 2nd - 2:36Jan 8 8:41 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Jan 8 7:52 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 8 7:15 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17