Penguins get by depleted Red WingsJan 19, 2011 - 5:25 AM
Jordan Staal, Chris Kunitz and Matt Cooke also tallied for Pittsburgh, which has won three straight games. Marc-Andre Fleury was solid between the pipes, turning aside 36-of-37 shots.
The Penguins were without captain Sidney Crosby, who has missed the last six games with a concussion, but remained three points behind the Flyers in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference standings.
Johan Franzen accounted for the lone goal for the Red Wings, who have dropped three of four. Joey MacDonald made 25 saves in defeat.
Pittsburgh opened the scoring 3:02 into the contest on a turnover by MacDonald. After a dump in by Tyler Kennedy, the Detroit netminder went behind the cage to play the puck, but put it right onto the stick of Staal, who scored into a wide-open net.
"We can't start behind each night, especially against good teams," said Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock.
Conner stuffed a backhander between the pads of MacDonald on a penalty shot at 11:29 to make it a 2-0 game.
"Obviously those chances (a penalty shot) don't come around too often, but I'm glad it went in," said Conner.
Franzen's tally from the right circle with 2:32 remaining in the middle stanza got the Red Wings on the board. However, just 30 seconds later Kunitz put a rebound past McDonald from in close to give Pittsburgh a 3-1 advantage after two.
Cooke's empty netter with 1:19 left in the contest accounted for the 4-1 final.
Detroit was without forward Tomas Holmstrom (broken hand)...Jimmy Howard (bruised right knee) was serving as the Detroit backup goaltender...The Red Wings also currently have forwards Pavel Datsyuk, Mike Modano and Dan Cleary on injured reserve and defenseman Brad Stuart (broken jaw) and goaltender Chris Osgood (sports hernia) are expected to miss the next 6-to-8 weeks...Earlier on Tuesday, the Penguins agreed to terms with center Mark Letestu on a two-year contract extension.
- DETROIT: 1
Jan 18 9:38 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Matt Cooke (9), at 18:41.
Red Wings 1, Penguins 4 3rd - 1:19Jan 18 9:28 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 18 8:39 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Chris Kunitz (16), at 17:58.
Red Wings 1, Penguins 3 2nd - 2:02Jan 18 8:35 PM
- Detroit Goal - Johan Franzen (20), from Patrick Eaves and Henrik Zetterberg at 17:28.
Red Wings 1, Penguins 2 2nd - 2:32Jan 18 8:34 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 1st
Jan 18 7:45 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Chris Conner (6), at 11:29.
Red Wings 0, Penguins 2 1st - 8:31Jan 18 7:29 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Jordan Staal (3), from Tyler Kennedy at 3:02.
Red Wings 0, Penguins 1 1st - 16:58Jan 18 7:13 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 18 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19