Sharks drop Wild for fourth straight winJan 23, 2011 - 7:33 AM
Logan Couture also scored and Patrick Marleau added two assists for the Sharks, who have taken four in a row. Antti Niemi earned the win with 23 saves.
"We're trying to be as consistent as we can," Couture said. "We're putting together better shifts back-to-back now."
Mikko Koivu picked up a pair of power-play scores for the Wild, whose three- game win streak came to an end. Niklas Backstrom allowed four goals on 42 shots in the loss.
San Jose moved ahead 4-2 at the 3:57 mark of the third period, as Joe Thornton gathered the puck between the circles and dished ahead for Ferriero, who waited until Backstrom moved for a pokecheck to slide the puck in.
Brent Burns then brought Minnesota within a goal at 16:35. Backstrom went to the bench for an extra skater with 1:05 to play, then was lifted again with 35 ticks left but the visitors had nothing left in the tank.
"Our execution wasn't great, and you have to give [San Jose] credit," Wild head coach Todd Richards said.
Couture opened the scoring with a wrister from the right wing at 11:33 of the first period, then Koivu countered for Minnesota less than two minutes later on a blistering shot from the right point.
Setoguchi put the Sharks back on top at 3:56 of the second period, when he followed up his own rebound and shoved it into a half-open net.
He tallied again at 6:36 on a power play with a chest-high deflection of a Joe Pavelski drive, but the Wild came within 3-2 at 7:27 on a Koivu backhander.
San Jose tied a franchise record with 25 shots on goal in the second period...This was Setoguchi's second multi-goal effort this season, following one on December 16 at Dallas...Backstrom has yielded at least three goals in all of his six starts at San Jose.
- MINNESOTA: 3
SAN JOSE: 4
Jan 23 1:04 AM
- Minnesota Goal - Brent Burns (14), from Cal Clutterbuck and Pierre-Marc Bouchard at 16:35.
Wild 3, Sharks 4 3rd - 3:25Jan 23 1:00 AM
- San Jose Goal - Benn Ferriero (5), at 3:57.
Wild 2, Sharks 4 3rd - 16:03Jan 23 12:34 AM
- MINNESOTA: 2
SAN JOSE: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 23 12:12 AM
- Minnesota Power-Play Goal - Mikko Koivu (14), from Matt Cullen at 7:27.
Wild 2, Sharks 3 2nd - 12:33Jan 22 11:48 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Devin Setoguchi (9), from Joe Pavelski and Patrick Marleau at 6:36.
Wild 1, Sharks 3 2nd - 13:24Jan 22 11:41 PM
- San Jose Goal - Devin Setoguchi (8), from Patrick Marleau and Dan Boyle at 3:56.
Wild 1, Sharks 2 2nd - 16:04Jan 22 11:36 PM
- MINNESOTA: 1
SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Jan 22 11:18 PM
- Minnesota Power-Play Goal - Mikko Koivu (13), at 13:19.
Wild 1, Sharks 1 1st - 6:41Jan 22 11:01 PM
- San Jose Goal - Logan Couture (22), at 11:33.
Wild 0, Sharks 1 1st - 8:27Jan 22 10:54 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 22 10:38 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19