Pens rally to down SabresFeb 5, 2011 - 5:18 AM
Dustin Jeffrey and Tyler Kennedy also lit the lamp for the Penguins, who have won five straight games and eight of nine overall.
Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 27-of-29 shots for the win.
"They came out pretty strong and were up for a while," said Fleury. "We expected them to come out strong but we didn't want to let up those two quick goals. It's nice to see we didn't let down after that and came back to win it."
Paul Gaustad and Mike Grier tallied for the Sabres, who lost for the second time in their last six. Ryan Miller allowed three goals on 39 shots in defeat.
"We came out strong and started the game off right," said Buffalo defenseman Tyler Myers. "But we let them off the hook in the second and third and it cost us."
Pittsburgh finally hit the scoreboard at 3:50 of the second period, when Jeffrey's backhander kicked out from Miller and deflected off Sabres forward Tim Connolly's skate before heading into the net.
Kennedy tied the game at 6:24 with a high wrister from the right circle, then 40 seconds later the Pens moved ahead for good as Cooke converted a backhander from in front.
Fleury made the lead hold up with 13 saves in the third period, and Buffalo's best chance with Miller pulled for an extra skater came when Jason Pominville failed to bat in a centering feed at the left side of the crease inside of a minute remaining.
Gaustad tallied just 17 seconds into the contest, lifting his own rebound over Fleury in a goalmouth scramble.
It was 2-0 for Buffalo at 7:03 when Grier was credited with a wraparound goal that ticked off the skate of a Penguins defenseman before crossing the line.
Pittsburgh has won all three meetings with Buffalo this season and six of the last seven...Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin returned for the first time since January 18, but left the game early in the second period when he was checked into the end boards by Myers...Rob Niedermayer assisted on both Sabres goals.
- BUFFALO: 2
Feb 4 9:36 PM
- BUFFALO: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 4 8:46 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Tyler Kennedy, from Matt Cooke at 7:04.
Sabres 2, Penguins 3 2nd - 12:56Feb 4 8:18 PM
- Brooks Orpik backhand shot is wide.
Sabres 2, Penguins 2 2nd - 13:05Feb 4 8:17 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Dustin Jeffrey (4), at 3:50.
Sabres 2, Penguins 1 2nd - 16:10Feb 4 8:08 PM
- BUFFALO: 2
End of 1st
Feb 4 7:43 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Mike Grier (3), at 7:03.
Sabres 2, Penguins 0 1st - 12:57Feb 4 7:18 PM
- Jordan Staal shot blocked by Tyler Myers.
Sabres 1, Penguins 0 1st - 18:49Feb 4 7:10 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 4 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17