Sharks rally to nip Blue JacketsFeb 10, 2011 - 3:58 AM
Kent Huskins and Kyle Wellwood also scored for the streaking Sharks, who have come to life after a shaky start to the season. San Jose has now won five straight and nine of their last 10 games overall.
Antti Niemi was strong with 42 saves in the winning effort.
"To come back in that fashion was nice, and our goaltender played a huge part in that," said Sharks head coach Todd McLellan. "We'll take the win, but obviously there are areas that we were not happy with."
Grant Clitsome and Kristian Huselius scored for Columbus, which saw its three- game win streak halted. Steve Mason allowed three goals on 32 shots in the loss.
With the score tied and the clock dwindling in the third period, the Sharks grabbed the lead for good on Marleau's 20th goal of the season. Strong puck control along the rear boards by Joe Pavelski allowed him to maintain possession for an extended stretch before he passed to Marleau.
From a sharp angle inside the lower left circle, Marleau's wrist shot somehow found room between Mason and the near post and it trickled over the goal line with 4:51 remaining.
"It looked like we didn't have the energy in the second and third periods," said Huselius. "When you get tired, you make mental errors, and that's what happened -- we couldn't come back after that."
The Blue Jackets scored twice on the power play in the first period.
Near the midpoint of the opening stanza, with Dany Heatley in the penalty box for interference, Huselius fired a wrister from the right circle through a screen and the disc flew under the pads of Niemi at the 9:35 mark.
With only nine seconds to go before the first intermission, the hosts moved ahead by two. Sharks enforcer Ben Eager was off for a cross-checking minor and Clitsome's slap shot from the left circle lit the lamp.
"(To fall behind) was certainly not our plan by any means," said McLellan. "In the first period, we weren't alert and we weren't very competitive."
Before two minutes had elapsed in the second period, San Jose sliced its deficit in half when a soft wrister from the left point by Huskins caught Mason -- who was partially screened -- off guard at 1:56.
Later in the second, at 13:39, the Sharks created a 2-2 tie via Wellwood's rebound tally from the low slot. Mason was out of position beyond the left post in an attempt to swipe the puck out of harm's way, but the disc was deflected directly to Wellwood for an easy deposit into the open net.
Niemi stopped 28 total shots over the final two periods...Pavelski posted two assists...It was the 12th goal of the season for Huselius...Since their six- game losing streak in early January, the Sharks have earned at least one point in each of the last 10 (9-0-1)... San Jose's current seven-game road trip continues in New Jersey on Friday, when Columbus will Colorado...The teams split the four-game season series...San Jose was 0-for-3 on the power play, while the hosts ended 2-for-4 with the extra skater.
- SAN JOSE: 3
Feb 9 9:27 PM
- San Jose Goal - Patrick Marleau (20), at 15:08.
Sharks 3, Blue Jackets 2 3rd - 4:52Feb 9 9:19 PM
- SAN JOSE: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 9 8:34 PM
- San Jose Goal - Kyle Wellwood (2), at 13:38.
Sharks 2, Blue Jackets 2 2nd - 6:22Feb 9 8:24 PM
- San Jose Goal - Kent Huskins, at 1:56.
Sharks 1, Blue Jackets 2 2nd - 18:04Feb 9 8:03 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
End of 1st
Feb 9 7:43 PM
- Columbus Power-Play Goal - Grant Clitsome (3), from Fedor Tyutin at 19:51.
Sharks 0, Blue Jackets 2 1st - 0:09Feb 9 7:42 PM
- Columbus Power-Play Goal - Kristian Huselius (12), at 9:35.
Sharks 0, Blue Jackets 1 1st - 10:25Feb 9 7:24 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 9 7:08 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19