Flyers edge 'Canes for third straight winFeb 11, 2011 - 3:52 AM
Jeff Carter also had a goal for the Flyers, who have won three straight and five of six.
"I think we can play those one-goal games," said Philadelphia head coach Peter Laviolette. "I think also we can play better, instead of defending a one-goal game, we should be looking for more attack in that game, not sitting back."
Tuomo Ruutu scored the lone goal while Cam Ward made 23 saves for the Hurricanes, who have dropped four of their last five.
"I thought we played a pretty good game here tonight," said Carolina head coach Paul Maurice. "But, we need to stay out of the penalty box, especially in the third period if we want to win games."
The game was scoreless going into the final 20 minutes, and the Flyers took a 1-0 lead just 18 seconds in on the power play as Carter skated down the right wing, faked the shot then snapped the puck past Ward on the short side for his 26th goal of the season.
Another power-play goal extended Philadelphia's lead to 2-0. Crisp passing from point to point saw the puck come back to the top of the left circle for Claude Giroux, who sent it to the left side where Briere roofed it with 8:33 to play.
The goal proved fortunate as Carolina scored 40 seconds later when Chad LaRose sent a shot on net from the right wing that Boucher stopped, but the rebound sat on the doorstep and Ruutu was able to bang it in.
Ward left the ice for the extra attacker in the final minute, but Carolina was unable to net the equalizer and Philly hung on for the win.
The first period passed scoreless despite each team having a power play. Philly had seven shots in the frame while Carolina got five shots on net.
The next 20 minutes passed the same as the first as neither side was able to get on the boards. Carolina had 12 shots on net while Philadelphia managed another seven.
Philly hosts Los Angeles on Sunday...Carolina continues its five-game road trip in Tampa Bay on Saturday...The Flyers have taken all three games with Carolina this season and nine straight in the series...Philly was 2-for-6 on the power play and held Carolina off the board on its five chances with the man advantage.
- CAROLINA: 1
Feb 10 9:28 PM
- Carolina Goal - Tuomo Ruutu, at 12:07.
Hurricanes 1, Flyers 2 3rd - 7:53Feb 10 9:11 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Danny Briere (27), at 11:27.
Hurricanes 0, Flyers 2 3rd - 8:33Feb 10 9:09 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Jeff Carter (26), at :18.
Hurricanes 0, Flyers 1 3rd - 19:42Feb 10 8:48 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
End of 2nd
Feb 10 8:30 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
End of 1st
Feb 10 7:38 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 10 7:08 PM
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23