Flyers hold on to down PanthersFeb 17, 2011 - 6:56 AM
Danny Briere had a goal and two assists while Andreas Nodl added a goal and an assist for the Flyers, who have won five of their last six. Mike Richards scored a goal and Sergei Bobrovsky finished with 33 saves in the win.
David Booth and Rostislav Olesz both scored in the third period for the Panthers, who have dropped three of their last four. Tomas Vokoun stopped 31- of-34 shots in the loss.
"They're a great team and had us on our heels," said Florida head coach Peter DeBoer. "But we battled back and I'm proud of the effort our guys displayed tonight."
Philly was holding a 3-0 lead to start the third period, bot Olesz made it a two-goal contest just 1:40 when he backhanded in a rebound off a Jason Garrison shot.
Later in the frame, Andrej Meszaros tried to clear his zone but the puck went right to Booth, who snapped a wrister in to make it a 3-2 contest with 7:31 to play.
Florida pulled Vokoun in the final minute and Bobrovsky came up with a big save on a Garrison point shot after a right circle faceoff.
Briere sealed the win with an empty-netter with 22 seconds to play.
"It's not the way we wanted to end the game, but we survived." Briere said, "At the end of the day, that's what matters the most."
Philly took a 1-0 lead just 8:36 in when recently-acquired Kris Versteeg sent a pass from the outside right circle to the inside where Richards snapped it into the net to break a 10-game goal drought.
Just over a minute later it was 2-0 as Briere, on the fly, sent a hard pass from the right circle to the front where Nodl redirected it in.
At the 5:50 mark of the second, Briere skated the puck into the Florida end, went inside-out to get around a defender and get a shot on net that saw van Riemsdyk clean up the rebound from the right side for a 3-0 lead.
Bobrovsky stopped all 16 shots he faced in the first two periods.
Philadelphia left wing Ville Leino missed the game with a lower-body injury and is listed as day-to-day...The Flyers continue their road trip in Carolina on Friday...Florida hosts Detroit on Friday...Philly has taken two of the three games against Florida this season. The teams will meet one last time this season on March 15 in Florida...It was the 1,700th win in Philadelphia's history.
- PHILADELPHIA: 4
Feb 16 10:07 PM
- Philadelphia Empty Net Goal - Danny Briere (28), at 19:38.
Flyers 4, Panthers 2 3rd - 0:22Feb 16 10:05 PM
- Florida Goal - David Booth (16), at 12:29.
Flyers 3, Panthers 2 3rd - 7:31Feb 16 9:52 PM
- Mike Weaver wrist shot on Sergei Bobrovsky.
Flyers 3, Panthers 1 3rd - 17:52Feb 16 9:34 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 3
End of 2nd
Feb 16 9:12 PM
- Danny Briere backhand shot on Tomas Vokoun.
Flyers 3, Panthers 0 2nd - 14:11Feb 16 8:42 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
End of 1st
Feb 16 8:16 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Andreas Nodl (10), from Danny Briere at 9:41.
Flyers 2, Panthers 0 1st - 10:19Feb 16 7:56 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Mike Richards (18), from Kris Versteeg at 8:36.
Flyers 1, Panthers 0 1st - 11:24Feb 16 7:54 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 16 7:39 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26