Bertuzzi scores winner in third as Red Wings edge PanthersFeb 19, 2011 - 4:50 AM
Pavel Datsyuk collected a goal and an assist for the Red Wings, who have won four straight and sit a top the Central Division with 78 points. Danny Cleary tallied a goal while Joey MacDonald stopped 29 shots in the win.
"I think we're really concentrating on playing solid defense," Bertuzzi said. "When we do that we ended up scoring a lot."
Dennis Wideman, Stephen Weiss and Radek Dvorak all lit the lamp for the Panthers, who rounded out an unfavorable five-game homestand 1-3-1. Tomas Vokoun yielded four goals on 30 shots.
"They're a good team and they capitalized on us early," Panthers head coach Peter DeBoer said. "I credit our guys for coming back. We kept battling the full 60 minutes."
The home team scored two straight goals to knot it at three. The equalizer came nearing the mid-point of the final frame on Weiss' slapper from the high slot that sailed over MacDonald's left shoulder.
However, Detroit was back in front for good with 7:32 left in the game on Bertuzzi's second goal. He trailed a Red Wing rush as Johan Franzen dropped the puck off in the high slot and Bertuzzi finished with a slapper.
Detroit fended off an extra-attacker play during the final 30 seconds to seal the win.
The Red Wings got on the board quickly after Henrik Zetterberg collected a Brian Rafalski pass at the top of the blue line. He streaked into the right side zone and centered it to Bertuzzi, who chipped the puck in from the doorstep for a 1-0 edge just 1:21 in.
Detroit went up 2-0, 6 1/2 minutes into the opening period when Cleary found himself on the breakaway set up by a long pass from Jiri Hudler. The veteran forward's initial 1-on-1 shot was blocked by Vokoun, but Cleary kept with the play and tipped in the rebound.
The hosts finally got a break in the latter stages of the first. Dvorak raced down the right boards and wristed a low shot from the right circle. In what seemed like a relatively easy save for MacDonald, the puck trickled between his legs and slowly crossed the goal line for a 2-1 game.
The two-goal lead was regained by the Red Wings just 3:29 into the second period after Datsyuk picked Wideman's pocket right in front of the net. Datsyuk then just needed one move to shelf his 17th goal of the season.
Florida, though, took advantage of a Ruslan Salei slashing penalty to make the score 3-2 with 17 ticks left in the second stanza. Right after an offensive zone faceoff win, Wideman blasted a shot from the point which found its way through traffic and into the net.
Florida forward Jack Skille registered his first point as a Panther with a helper on Weiss' goal in the third period...Florida dropped to 12-11-6 as the host this season...The Red Wings have won four of the last six against the Panthers...Zetterberg had two assists.
- DETROIT: 4
Feb 18 10:06 PM
- Detroit Goal - Todd Bertuzzi (14), at 12:28.
Red Wings 4, Panthers 3 3rd - 7:32Feb 18 9:50 PM
- Radek Dvorak shot blocked by Jonathan Ericsson.
Red Wings 3, Panthers 3 3rd - 9:29Feb 18 9:45 PM
- Stephen Weiss slap shot on Joey MacDonald.
Red Wings 3, Panthers 2 3rd - 10:24Feb 18 9:43 PM
- Florida Goal - Stephen Weiss (16), at 9:36.
Red Wings 3, Panthers 3 3rd - 10:24Feb 18 9:43 PM
- DETROIT: 3
End of 2nd
Feb 18 9:11 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Dennis Wideman (9), at 19:42.
Red Wings 3, Panthers 2 2nd - 0:18Feb 18 9:09 PM
- Detroit Goal - Pavel Datsyuk (17), at 3:29.
Red Wings 3, Panthers 1 2nd - 16:31Feb 18 8:40 PM
- DETROIT: 2
End of 1st
Feb 18 8:17 PM
- Florida Goal - Radek Dvorak (7), at 16:53.
Red Wings 2, Panthers 1 1st - 3:07Feb 18 8:12 PM
- Detroit Goal - Danny Cleary (19), at 6:29.
Red Wings 2, Panthers 0 1st - 13:31Feb 18 7:49 PM
- Detroit Goal - Todd Bertuzzi, at 1:21.
Red Wings 1, Panthers 0 1st - 18:39Feb 18 7:41 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 18 7:39 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30