Red Wings rally past Sabres in SOFeb 27, 2011 - 4:49 AM
After Datsyuk roofed the first round shot and Joey MacDonald stoned Thomas Vanek in the second, Hudler used a backhander to get the puck past Ryan Miller to preserve the win for Detroit, which has won five straight games as the guests. Hudler sent the game into overtime with a goal in the final minute of regulation.
MacDonald made 30 saves to give Detroit a win to start a five-game road trip and also snapped a two-game losing streak.
"We stuck in it until the end," MacDonald said. "We got a goal to tie it and then we got it done in the shootout. We come away with two points, which is huge."
Mike Grier and Andrej Sekera each scored for the Sabres, who picked up a point to put them just two points outside of the last playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Miller made 35 saves in the loss.
"At this point, we have to be upset not to come away with two points," Miller said. "If you don't get two points, you're not gaining much ground."
With a minute left in regulation, the Wings pulled MacDonald for an extra attacker, Hudler, who raced to the left side of the net.
Meanwhile, Johan Franzen sent a shot from the left point and it was blocked by Miller. The charging Hudler picked up the rebound and threw it into the open net to knot the game with 57.9 seconds left.
The game was sent into overtime where Buffalo had the shot edge, 3-2, but neither team could light the lamp.
The Sabres struck first with 7:05 left in the opening period when Jochen Hecht pushed a pass up to Sekera in the neutral zone. He was then off to the races and flipped a backhander past MacDonald.
They took a 2-0 lead just two minutes later on another odd-man rush. Sekera handled a carom off the left boards and then skated toward the net before crossing to Grier, who slipped the puck past MacDonald's outstretched leg.
Datsyuk finally got Detroit on the board nearly 11 minutes into the second stanza. Following an offensive faceoff win, he fired a shot from the high slot, which was blocked by a crowd in front of the net. But the rebound came right back to Datsyuk and he sent a quick shot into the net for his 18th goal of the season, this one on the power play.
Buffalo defenseman Jordan Leopold had an upper body injury and did not play...Detroit is 21-8-2 on the road this season...The Red Wings got forwards Mike Modano and Valtteri Filppula back from injuries. Modano hadn't played since November 26 due to a lacerated right wrist that required surgery, while Filppula had missed eight games in a row because of a sprained left MCL.
- DETROIT: 3
Final - 2OT
Feb 26 9:42 PM
- DETROIT: 2
End of Regulation
Feb 26 9:28 PM
- Detroit Goal - Jiri Hudler (7), from Johan Franzen at 19:02.
Red Wings 2, Sabres 2 3rd - 0:58Feb 26 9:25 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 26 8:36 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Pavel Datsyuk (18), at 10:43.
Red Wings 1, Sabres 2 2nd - 9:17Feb 26 8:22 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 1st
Feb 26 7:43 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Mike Grier (5), at 14:59.
Red Wings 0, Sabres 2 1st - 5:01Feb 26 7:34 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Andrej Sekera (2), at 12:55.
Red Wings 0, Sabres 1 1st - 7:05Feb 26 7:28 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 26 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25