Howard celebrates contract extension by helping Red Wings down KingsMar 1, 2011 - 7:06 AM
Hours after Howard signed a two-year extension with the club, the Red Wings rattled off seven straight goals en route to a sixth consecutive road win. Nicklas Lidstrom and Pavel Datsyuk each scored on the power play, while Darren Helm added a short-handed tally in the rout.
Michal Handzus scored an early power play goal for the Kings, who netted three late goals to make the final score somewhat more respectable in just their second regulation loss in 16 games.
Jonathan Quick, who made a career-high 51 saves in a shutout win when these teams met on December 13, was beaten six times on 24 shots before getting pulled in the third period.
"You've got to have your goaltender on top of his game any time you play Detroit, and [Quick] had a real tough game," Kings head coach Terry Murray said.
Helm was whistled for holding 3:17 into the game, and the Kings capitalized less than a minute later. Jarret Stoll's point shot banked hard off the back boards, and Handzus was at the right doorstep to knock it out of the air and into the back of the net at 4:09.
The lead lasted all of 2:28 thanks to Miller's seemingly innocuous centering pass from the left side somehow squirting through for a goal, the first of seven straight for the Central Division-leaders.
Detroit took the lead just 30 seconds later, as Jiri Hudler's shot from the right boards was acutely re-directed between Quick's pads by Dan Cleary. The play was reviewed and showed Cleary making contact with the puck at shoulder level.
Late in the opening frame, a nice hustle play from Mike Modano behind the net resulted in the puck finding Lidstrom at the point, where the All-Star defenseman let a slap shot fly for his 13th goal of the season at 18:48.
The Kings squandered two power-play chances in the second period, and the Wings scored late on their chance with the man advantage, as Datsyuk came in unabated and flung a wrister into the top right corner with 41.2 seconds showing.
Detroit's special teams continued to shine in the third, as Helm's unassisted short-handed tally 2:01 into the frame increased the margin to 5-1.
Quick was yanked after yielding Miller's sixth goal of the season at 5:53, and Jonathan Bernier gave up a goal to Hudler midway through the final period, one of three shots the netminder faced in relief.
Dustin Brown, Wayne Simmonds and Brad Richardson all scored in the final 7:34 for Los Angeles to account for the final margin.
"With eight minutes left we stopped playing ... but good two points for us and we can move on in the trip," said Detroit head coach Mike Babcock, whose team has three games left on the five-game road swing.
The Kings' front office had a busy Monday, trading for forward Dustin Penner before the deadline and signing right wing Justin Williams to a four-year extension. They gave up defensive prospect Colten Teubert along with a first- round pick in the 2011 draft and a conditional third-round selection in 2012 to land Penner...LA was 11-1-3 in its previous 15 games...Los Angeles had won four straight over Detroit...The Red Wings played without defenseman Brian Rafalski (back) and forward Johan Franzen (personal).
- DETROIT: 7
LOS ANGELES: 4
Mar 1 1:05 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Brad Richardson (7), from Matt Greene at 19:39.
Red Wings 7, Kings 4 3rd - 0:21Mar 1 1:03 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Wayne Simmonds (12), from Alexei Ponikarovsky at 18:55.
Red Wings 7, Kings 3 3rd - 1:05Mar 1 1:02 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Dustin Brown (21), at 12:25.
Red Wings 7, Kings 2 3rd - 7:35Mar 1 12:48 AM
- Detroit Goal - Jiri Hudler (8), at 10:20.
Red Wings 7, Kings 1 3rd - 9:40Mar 1 12:46 AM
- Detroit Goal - Drew Miller (6), at 5:53.
Red Wings 6, Kings 1 3rd - 14:07Mar 1 12:37 AM
- Detroit Short-Handed Goal - Darren Helm (8), at 2:01.
Red Wings 5, Kings 1 3rd - 17:59Mar 1 12:31 AM
- DETROIT: 4
LOS ANGELES: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 1 12:20 AM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Pavel Datsyuk (19), at 19:18.
Red Wings 4, Kings 1 2nd - 0:42Mar 1 12:20 AM
- DETROIT: 3
LOS ANGELES: 1
End of 1st
Feb 28 11:16 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Todd Bertuzzi (15), at 18:48.
Red Wings 3, Kings 1 1st - 1:12Feb 28 11:13 PM
- Detroit Goal - Danny Cleary (22), at 7:07.
Red Wings 2, Kings 1 1st - 12:53Feb 28 10:51 PM
- Detroit Goal - Drew Miller (5), at 6:36.
Red Wings 1, Kings 1 1st - 13:24Feb 28 10:50 PM
- Los Angeles Power-Play Goal - Michal Handzus (9), at 4:09.
Red Wings 0, Kings 1 1st - 15:51Feb 28 10:46 PM
- DETROIT: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 28 10:39 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30