Late heroics get Red Wings by Oilers in OTMar 12, 2011 - 7:16 AM
Nicklas Lidstrom tallied with 24.8 seconds left in regulation to force the extra period as the Red Wings snapped their longest skid of the season. Detroit, which leads the Central Division by a comfortable margin over idle Chicago, hadn't won since February 28 at Los Angeles.
Jimmy Howard gave up an early goal, but was stellar the rest of the way with 26 saves in all.
"It was a big win for us to come back the way we did," said Datsyuk. "Still, it was kinda frustrating out there, we had a bunch of chances and weren't able to put them away."
Ryan Jones' first-period score was the lone offense for the lowly Oilers, who have lost three straight. Devan Dubnyk was solid between the pipes in defeat, making 42 saves.
"That's a kick to lose the game that way," said Jones. "We battle the whole way and it's just unfortunate it didn't turn out the way we wanted."
Dubnyk held the home team off the board for more than 59 minutes, but the Red Wings needed just 47 seconds of empty-net time to find an equalizer as Lidstrom's shot from just above the left circle re-directed off Michigan product Andrew Cogliano's skate and skipped across the goal line.
Detroit dominated with four shots to Edmonton's two in the extra session, ending the game when Datsyuk found the back of the net with a blast from the high slot for the win.
The Oilers struck first on an odd play. Jones picked up the puck right in front of the Red Wings bench, skated into the zone and snapped a shot from the top of the left circle. The disc skipped under Howard's left leg pad and angled into the open net for a his 15th goal of the season.
Howard made several fantastic saves including several Oilers chances inside of five minutes to play in the second while laying flat on his stomach. He finished with 10 saves in the period, while Dubnyk had 17 for Edmonton.
Detroit looked to have tied it up with 21 ticks left in the middle frame as Todd Bertuzzi redirected a shot into the net. However the goal was called back after replay determined that he directed the puck with his glove and the score stayed 1-0.
Edmonton fought off a 5-on-3 Detroit power play during the early stages of the third and also killed a penalty to Gilbert Brule with five minutes on the clock.
The Oilers fell to 1-2-1 on a five game road trip...The Red Wings swept the four-game season series with Edmonton. The Wings have taken five straight and nine of 12 overall from the Oilers.
- EDMONTON: 1
Final - OT
Mar 11 10:18 PM
- Detroit Goal - Pavel Datsyuk (21), from Johan Franzen at 4:17.
Oilers 1, Red Wings 2 OT - 0:43Mar 11 10:17 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of Regulation
Mar 11 10:11 PM
- Detroit Goal - Nicklas Lidstrom (14), from Pavel Datsyuk and Tomas Holmstrom at 19:35.
Oilers 1, Red Wings 1 3rd - 0:25Mar 11 10:11 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 11 9:12 PM
- Nicklas Lidstrom wrist shot on Devan Dubnyk.
Oilers 1, Red Wings 0 2nd - 0:22Mar 11 9:09 PM
- Detroit Goal - Nicklas Lidstrom (14), at 19:38.
Oilers 1, Red Wings 1 2nd - 0:22Mar 11 9:09 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 1st
Mar 11 8:13 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Jones (15), at 6:39.
Oilers 1, Red Wings 0 1st - 13:21Mar 11 7:50 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 11 7:38 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29