Whitney, Vrbata power Coyotes to win over OilersMar 18, 2011 - 4:57 AM
Lee Stempniak also tallied while Ilya Bryzgalov made 35 saves for the Coyotes, who have won four in a row and five of six.
"It was one of those nights where we weren't disciplined enough," said Phoenix captain Shane Doan. "We gave them lots of opportunities but thank goodness 'Bryzzie' was as good as he was."
Magnus Paajarvi provided the lone offense for the Oilers, losers of five straight. Nikolai Khabibulin allowed three goals on just 17 shots in defeat.
Stempniak opened the scoring for the visitors with under a minute left in the first period when he slid a shot through Khabibulin's pads from in front.
Whitney doubled the Phoenix advantage at 11:32 of the second period, then Paajarvi connected with a wrister from the left circle on a power play just after six minutes were played in the third.
Vrbata gave the Coyotes an insurance tally on the advantage with 8:03 left in regulation on a wrister from the high slot.
The Oilers went with an extra attacker for most of the final two minutes.
Edmonton did see a goal waved off with 38.1 to go after a whistle blew play dead just before Jordan Eberle tucked the puck home through a goalmouth scramble.
"I think as far as Phoenix goes, they wanted an easy game," said Eberle. "But we were going on the forecheck and it seemed like we were outplaying them for most of the game. Our power play (which was 1-for-9) probably killed our momentum but I would say that 5-on-5 we were playing them well."
Phoenix won three of the four meetings with Edmonton this season, including both at Rexall...The Coyotes improved to 29-2-2 when leading after two... Bryzgalov earned his 126th victory with the franchise, tying him with Khabibulin for second most on the all-time list.
- PHOENIX: 3
Mar 17 11:38 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Radim Vrbata (17), from Shane Doan and Ray Whitney at 11:56.
Coyotes 3, Oilers 1 3rd - 8:04Mar 17 11:21 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Magnus Paajarvi (11), from Linus Omark at 6:05.
Coyotes 2, Oilers 1 3rd - 13:55Mar 17 11:07 PM
- PHOENIX: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 17 10:40 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Ray Whitney (14), at 11:32.
Coyotes 2, Oilers 0 2nd - 8:28Mar 17 10:20 PM
- Taylor Pyatt shot on Nikolai Khabibulin.
Coyotes 1, Oilers 0 2nd - 19:37Mar 17 10:01 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
2nd Period - 20:00
Coyotes 0, Oilers 0 2nd - 20:00Mar 17 10:01 PM
- PHOENIX: 1
End of 1st
Mar 17 9:45 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Lee Stempniak (16), at 19:13.
Coyotes 1, Oilers 0 1st - 0:47Mar 17 9:43 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 17 9:09 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25