Maple Leafs blast BruinsMar 20, 2011 - 5:01 AM
Joey Crabb posted a goal and two assists for the Maple Leafs, who have taken three of their last five.
Mike Brown and Nazem Kadri each added a goal for Toronto, which remained four points behind Buffalo for the final playoff spot in the East.
Adam McQuaid and Daniel Paille scored for the Bruins, who have dropped six of their last seven but still hold a three-point lead in the Northeast Division over idle Montreal.
Tim Thomas was shelled for four goals on 22 shots in the loss. Tuukka Rask allowed a goal on seven chances in almost 12 minutes of work in the second period.
Bruins defenseman Tomas Kaberle made his return to Ontario's largest city for the first time since Boston acquired him. He had one shot in just over 20 minutes of play.
"It was really nice from the fans. They had really good support during my 12 years here. There's lots of memories here," Kaberle said.
The Leafs struck near the midway point of the first when Luke Schenn soloed from his own zone and scored under the crossbar, but the Bruins countered two minutes later thanks to McQuaid's carom off Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf's skate.
Toronto went up 2-1 just 40 seconds later on a Kadri floater from the left point. For the native of nearby London, Ontario it was his first NHL goal in his 21st pro game.
"If we want to make a playoff run, we're going to need that secondary scoring," Kadri said.
Crabb and Brown beat Thomas within a 29-second span early in the second and Toronto led 4-1, then Aulie welcomed Rask to the game on a shot from below the left circle with 2:37 remaining in the period.
Reimer made 10 saves in the third period but couldn't handle Paille's shot with 20 seconds left in the contest.
Toronto has won three of five over Boston this season, with one final meeting scheduled for TD Garden on March 31...Reimer improved to 15-7-4 on the season and won for the third time in four starts.
- BOSTON: 2
Mar 19 9:50 PM
- Boston Goal - Daniel Paille (3), from Shawn Thornton and Gregory Campbell at 19:40.
Bruins 2, Maple Leafs 5 3rd - 0:20Mar 19 9:45 PM
- BOSTON: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 19 8:50 PM
- Toronto Goal - Keith Aulie (2), at 17:23.
Bruins 1, Maple Leafs 5 2nd - 2:37Mar 19 8:46 PM
- Toronto Goal - Mike Brown (3), from Tim Brent at 8:18.
Bruins 1, Maple Leafs 4 2nd - 11:42Mar 19 8:29 PM
- Toronto Goal - Joey Crabb (3), from Darryl Boyce and Nazem Kadri at 7:49.
Bruins 1, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 12:11Mar 19 8:28 PM
- BOSTON: 1
End of 1st
Mar 19 7:55 PM
- Toronto Goal - Nazem Kadri, from Joey Crabb and Carl Gunnarsson at 12:26.
Bruins 1, Maple Leafs 2 1st - 7:34Mar 19 7:40 PM
- Boston Goal - Adam McQuaid (2), at 11:46.
Bruins 1, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 8:14Mar 19 7:39 PM
- Toronto Goal - Luke Schenn (4), at 9:44.
Bruins 0, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 10:16Mar 19 7:33 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 19 7:18 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Bruins opt to retain coach Julien for another season Apr 14
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Tortorella: Don't ask NHL coaches to fix stagnant scoring Apr 12