Playoff-bound Penguins down PanthersApr 3, 2011 - 6:51 AM
Tyler Kennedy, Pascal Dupuis and Craig Adams each notched a goal for Pittsburgh while Brent Johnson stopped 28 shots for the victors.
The Penguins reached 100 points -- just two behind the idle Philadelphia Flyers in the Atlantic Division and three ahead of Tampa Bay for the fourth spot in the Eastern Conference.
"It was huge. Obviously it's 100 points ... but it's two points on the road, which is always a good thing," said Johnson.
Jack Skille and Clay Wilson both scored for the Panthers, who widened their season-long losing streak to eight games. Scott Clemmensen stopped 30 shots in defeat.
"I wish we could have pulled [a win] off," said Skille.
Pittsburgh got on the board early as Kennedy scored on a wrister from the edge of the left circle 1:45 into the contest.
Skille evened it as he took a pass from Marty Reasoner at the left boards and slapped it home on the stick side 14:38 in for his eighth goal of the season.
The Panthers tallied their second goal just 22 seconds later. Wilson took a pass from Sergei Samsonov at the blue line and lifted the wrister from the left circle to the top glove side corner of the net.
Dupuis evened the game 45 seconds into the second as he scored on an empty net. Chris Conner sent a pass from behind the goal to Maxime Talbot on the right side of the goalmouth. Talbot drew the defenders and Clemmensen, and shuffled a short pass to Dupuis, who sent it home to even the game.
Michalek tallied the game-winner at the 12:49 mark of the third. Michalek took a centering pass from Paul Martin at the top of the right circle and sent it home for the go-ahead goal.
Adams' empty-net goal with 1:30 remaining accounted for the final advantage.
Pittsburgh is now 7-3-0 in its last 10 games...The Penguins swept the four- game season series, winning three of four in regulation...Pittsburgh bounced back from consecutive losses to Tampa Bay and Philadelphia...The Penguins are now 22-11-6 on the road.
- PITTSBURGH: 4
Apr 2 9:25 PM
- Pittsburgh Short-Handed Empty Net Goal - Craig Adams (4), from Jordan Staal at 18:30.
Penguins 4, Panthers 2 3rd - 1:30Apr 2 9:23 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 3
3rd Period - 7:11
Penguins 3, Panthers 2 3rd - 7:11Apr 2 9:12 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
End of 2nd
Apr 2 8:32 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Pascal Dupuis (14), from Maxime Talbot at :45.
Penguins 2, Panthers 2 2nd - 19:15Apr 2 7:59 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 1
End of 1st
Apr 2 7:40 PM
- Florida Goal - Clay Wilson (3), at 15:00.
Penguins 1, Panthers 2 1st - 5:00Apr 2 7:29 PM
- Florida Goal - Jack Skille (8), from Marty Reasoner at 14:38.
Penguins 1, Panthers 1 1st - 5:22Apr 2 7:27 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Tyler Kennedy (20), at 1:45.
Penguins 1, Panthers 0 1st - 18:15Apr 2 7:11 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 2 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17