Bruins clip IslandersApr 7, 2011 - 6:57 AM
Shawn Thornton and Dennis Seidenberg also scored for the Bruins, who have won two of three and eclipsed the 100-point mark on the year.
Tim Thomas made 30 saves as Boston, the third seed, crept within two points of idle Philadelphia (103-101) for the second spot in the Eastern Conference. Both teams have two games remaining.
"He's a tremendous goaltender ... one of the best in the league," Islanders head coach Jack Capuano said of Thomas.
Michael Grabner tallied twice for the Islanders, who have dropped five of their last six. Rick DiPietro stopped 31 shots in the loss.
Goals 78 seconds apart gave Boston a 3-1 edge before the midway point of the second period.
The Bruins' go-ahead goal was rifled home by Seidenberg from the right point at 7:51, then Campbell's stuffer try at the right side of the crease slipped through DiPietro's arm and body at 9:09.
"I felt like there was some chemistry with us tonight, and we were fortunate enough to put some in," Campbell said.
The Isles got back within a goal at 14:26 on Grabner's second of the game, a short-handed breakaway score, but Thomas shut the door in the third period with four saves.
Thornton scored with less that one second left in the first period, when he tapped in a feed from Daniel Paille at the left side of the crease.
Grabner tallied for the 32nd time this season, at 3:24 of the second period, hitting an open net after a slick cross-ice dish by Blake Comeau.
The Bruins won three of four from the Islanders this season...Boston hosts Ottawa on Saturday then plays at New Jersey on Sunday...Grabner tied San Jose forward Logan Couture for most scores this season by a rookie...He posted his fifth multi-goal effort of the season...The Islanders host the Penguins on Friday and play in Philadelphia on Saturday to close out their regular season.
- NEW YORK: 2
Apr 6 9:31 PM
- NY Islanders Short-Handed Goal - Michael Grabner (33), at 14:26.
Islanders 2, Bruins 3 2nd - 5:34Apr 6 8:29 PM
- Boston Goal - Gregory Campbell (13), from Adam McQuaid at 9:09.
Islanders 1, Bruins 3 2nd - 10:51Apr 6 8:19 PM
- Boston Goal - Dennis Seidenberg (7), at 7:51.
Islanders 1, Bruins 2 2nd - 12:09Apr 6 8:14 PM
- Shot blocked by Adam McQuaid.
Islanders 1, Bruins 1 2nd - 16:11Apr 6 8:08 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Apr 6 7:44 PM
- Boston Goal - Shawn Thornton (10), from Daniel Paille and Dennis Seidenberg at 19:59.
Islanders 0, Bruins 1 1st - 0:01Apr 6 7:44 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 6 7:11 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7
- Islanders look for win amid improved play against Lightning May 6