Sabres beat Blue Jackets, to meet Flyers in playoffsApr 10, 2011 - 2:07 AM
Chris Butler, Tyler Ennis and Drew Stafford also lit the lamp for the Sabres, who clinched the No. 7 seed in the Eastern Conference. Buffalo and Montreal both finished with 96 points, but the Canadiens got the sixth spot due to more non-shootout wins. Montreal beat Toronto on Saturday.
Buffalo (43-29-10) takes a four-game winning streak into the playoffs, where they will meet the Atlantic Division champion Flyers in the first round. Philadelphia defeated the Islanders on Saturday to clinch the No. 2 seed.
Ryan Miller stopped 20-of-21 shots before giving way to Jhonas Enroth, who made 12 saves for the victors.
Kristian Huselius scored a pair of goals for the Blue Jackets (34-35-13), who dropped six straight to end the season. Derek Dorsett and Jared Boll also lit the lamp.
Steve Mason made 25 saves in defeat.
With the score tied at 3-3, Stafford put Buffalo ahead with a power-play goal at the 12:11 mark of the third. Pominville controlled the puck at the top of the right circle and slid a pass to the slot. Stafford made a nice spinning move before putting a backhander past Mason.
Gaustad lit the lamp on the power play just over a minute later to give the Sabres a 5-3 lead. Brad Boyes' shot from the top of the left circle was deflected in by Gaustad.
Huselius scored with 23 seconds left to account for the final margin.
Following a scoreless first period, the Blue Jackets got on the board at the 4:15 mark of the second. Dorsett's wrap-around goal gave Columbus a 1-0 edge.
Buffalo tied the game just over three minutes later. Steve Montador controlled the puck at the bottom of the right circle and slid a pass to the slot. Pominville's one-timer got past Mason.
The Sabres took a 2-1 lead at the 11:51 mark of the middle stanza. Butler's slapper from the top of the left circle got past Mason.
Ennis gave Buffalo a 3-1 margin with 4:48 remaining. Columbus turned the puck over behind its own net and Boyes was there to gather the disc for the Sabres. He slid a pass in front to Ennis, who found the back of the net.
The Blue Jackets made it a one-goal game again over a minute later. Boll jammed home a rebound on the backhand to make it 3-2.
Huselius made it a 3-3 game at the 2:37 mark of the third period.
Buffalo took both games from Columbus this season...The Sabres were winless (0-3-1) in their previous four trips to Columbus...Philadelphia and Buffalo split four games this year...Boyes had three assists.
- BUFFALO: 5
Apr 9 9:44 PM
- Columbus Power-Play Goal - Kristian Huselius (14), at 19:37.
Sabres 5, Blue Jackets 4 3rd - 0:23Apr 9 9:30 PM
- Mike Weber slap shot on Steve Mason.
Sabres 5, Blue Jackets 3 3rd - 6:08Apr 9 9:20 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal - Drew Stafford (31), at 12:11.
Sabres 4, Blue Jackets 3 3rd - 7:49Apr 9 9:17 PM
- Columbus Goal - Kristian Huselius, from Antoine Vermette and Sami Lepisto at 2:37.
Sabres 3, Blue Jackets 3 3rd - 17:23Apr 9 9:00 PM
- BUFFALO: 3
End of 2nd
Apr 9 8:38 PM
- Columbus Goal - Jared Boll (7), at 16:32.
Sabres 3, Blue Jackets 2 2nd - 3:28Apr 9 8:32 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Tyler Ennis (20), from Brad Boyes and Drew Stafford at 15:12.
Sabres 3, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 4:48Apr 9 8:29 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Chris Butler (2), at 11:51.
Sabres 2, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 8:09Apr 9 8:21 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Jason Pominville (22), at 7:18.
Sabres 1, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 12:42Apr 9 8:11 PM
- Columbus Goal - Derek Dorsett (4), at 4:15.
Sabres 0, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 15:45Apr 9 8:06 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
End of 1st
Apr 9 7:43 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 9 7:09 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23
- Ducks, Preds hope to get rolling early in first-round series Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Tortorella: Don't ask NHL coaches to fix stagnant scoring Apr 12