Whitney scores twice as Coyotes top DevilsOct 28, 2011 - 5:56 AM
Keith Yandle, Radim Vrbata and David Schlemko each had two assists for the Coyotes, who were held to four goals during its three-game skid at home.
"As a group, we played much better for the entire game," Whitney said.
Johan Hedberg yielded five goals on 42 shots for New Jersey, which has dropped three of four.
"We were chasing from behind all night," said New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer. "They came at us in the first period and dictated the play. We had a little bit of a pushback."
Even after the first period on goals from Patrick O'Sullivan and Zach Parise, Mark Fayne put the Devils up 2-1 with a blast from the point at the 5:28 mark of the middle stanza.
The Coyotes then scored four consecutive goals.
Whitney's 99th career power-play goal tied the game at 11:24 of the second. The veteran forward gathered a puck at the bottom of the right circle and fired a shot over the left pad and under the glove of Hedberg. Raffi Torres buried a juicy rebound to put Phoenix in front with 49 seconds to go in the frame.
Martin Hanzal converted a feed from Whitney to make it 4-2 at 12:16 of the third, then returned the favor a little over two minutes later, setting up Whitney for his second tally.
New Jersey got a goal from Nick Palmieri late in regulation.
The Devils have lost seven of the last 10 meetings in Phoenix...The Coyotes were 1-for-4 on the power play...New Jersey failed to score on its lone chance with the man advantage.
- NEW JERSEY: 3
Oct 28 12:30 AM
- New Jersey Goal - Nick Palmieri, from Adam Henrique at 19:53.
Devils 3, Coyotes 5 3rd - 0:07Oct 28 12:30 AM
- Petr Sykora shot blocked by Daymond Langkow.
Devils 2, Coyotes 5 3rd - 4:44Oct 28 12:22 AM
- Phoenix Goal - Martin Hanzal (3), from Ray Whitney and David Schlemko at 12:16.
Devils 2, Coyotes 4 3rd - 7:44Oct 28 12:17 AM
- NEW JERSEY: 2
End of 2nd
Oct 27 11:38 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Raffi Torres (2), at 19:11.
Devils 2, Coyotes 3 2nd - 0:49Oct 27 11:37 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Ray Whitney (4), at 11:24.
Devils 2, Coyotes 2 2nd - 8:36Oct 27 11:24 PM
- New Jersey Goal - David Clarkson (3), from Mark Fayne and Mattias Tedenby at 5:28.
Devils 2, Coyotes 1 2nd - 14:32Oct 27 11:11 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Oct 27 10:47 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Zach Parise (4), at 14:15.
Devils 1, Coyotes 1 1st - 5:45Oct 27 10:36 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Patrick O'Sullivan, from Daymond Langkow and David Schlemko at 6:18.
Devils 0, Coyotes 1 1st - 13:42Oct 27 10:22 PM
- Patrick O'Sullivan wrist shot on Johan Hedberg.
Devils 0, Coyotes 0 1st - 13:42Oct 27 10:19 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Patrick O'Sullivan, from David Schlemko and Taylor Pyatt at 6:18.
Devils 0, Coyotes 1 1st - 13:42Oct 27 10:18 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 27 10:08 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Hockey sticks no longer one size fits all Apr 21
- Phoenix mayor wants shared arena for Suns, Coyotes Apr 19