Henrique, Devils down HurricanesNov 9, 2011 - 4:55 AM
Dainius Zubrus and Petr Sykora also tallied for the Devils, who have won three in a row.
Martin Brodeur won after posting 25 saves.
Brandon Sutter and Joni Pitkanen lit the lamp for the Hurricanes, losers of three straight.
Cam Ward took the loss despite 33 stops.
"We were loose with the puck, moments of just being nervous," said Hurricanes head coach Paul Maurice.
Carolina evened the score just past the six-minute mark of the third as Henrique inadvertently deflected a left-corner shot from Pitkanen -- which was intended for Alexei Ponikarovsky -- past Brodeur.
But Henrique put the home team ahead to stay with 3:19 left in regulation as he circled behind the Carolina net from left to right and somehow poked the puck inside the near post before Ward could get across.
"I want to be out there in key moments and be able to contribute. I thought we just had to keep up the pressure and things would turn our way, and tonight they did for us," said Henrique.
Due to forechecking pressure, the 'Canes were unable to pull the goaltender until the final 30 seconds. No equalizer was forthcoming.
Sutter fired home a wrister inside the far pipe from the right circle near the midway point of the first period.
The Devils knotted the game at 10:56 of the second period, when a lengthy review determined that Zubrus kept his stick low when deflecting an Anton Volchenkov shot past Ward.
New Jersey assumed a 2-1 edge with 2:37 played in the third, when Patrik Elias won a left-circle draw and Sykora managed to sneak a high shot between Ward's arm and body.
New Jersey has won both meetings over Carolina this season and eight of 10 since the start of the 2009-10 campaign...Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk sat for the second straight game with a pulled leg muscle...Elias finished with two assists...Both teams are off until Friday, when the Devils begin a home- and-home with the Capitals by hosting Washington, and the Hurricanes travel to Manhattan.
- CAROLINA: 2
NEW JERSEY: 3
Nov 8 10:06 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Adam Henrique, at 16:41.
Hurricanes 2, Devils 3 3rd - 3:19Nov 8 9:58 PM
- Carolina Goal - Alexei Ponikarovsky (3), from Joni Pitkanen at 6:06.
Hurricanes 2, Devils 2 3rd - 13:54Nov 8 9:36 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Patrik Elias (7), from Petr Sykora at 2:37.
Hurricanes 1, Devils 2 3rd - 17:23Nov 8 9:31 PM
- CAROLINA: 1
NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 8 9:09 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Anton Volchenkov, at 10:56.
Hurricanes 1, Devils 1 2nd - 9:04Nov 8 8:50 PM
- CAROLINA: 1
NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Nov 8 8:14 PM
- Carolina Short-Handed Goal - Brandon Sutter (4), at 9:27.
Hurricanes 1, Devils 0 1st - 10:33Nov 8 7:56 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 8 7:40 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11
- Devils' Elias reconsidering future after good final week Apr 10
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9