Red Wings halt Boston's 10-game win streakNov 26, 2011 - 12:47 AM
Bertuzzi scored in the final round of the shootout to lift Detroit to a 3-2 victory over Boston and hand the Bruins their first loss since October 29.
The Red Wings earned the shootout victory thanks to a standout performance by Jimmy Howard, who finished with 41 saves and turned aside 17 shots in the third period alone.
"It was a lot of fun out there," Howard said. "Our guys did a great job. We battled hard all night long, a gutsy road win. Under the circumstances, with it being Thanksgiving yesterday, I think we did a great job out there today."
He allowed a goal to Nathan Horton to start the third round, evening the shootout at 1-1, but Bertuzzi secured the victory. He came in wide from the right wing and shifted his hips as he crossed through the slot, as though to attempt a backhand shot. But he quickly shifted back to the forehand, and his wrister deflected off Tuukka Rask and into the net.
Pavel Datsyuk and Valtteri Filppula scored in regulation for the Red Wings, won have won four in a row and eight of their last 10.
Boston extended its winning streak to 10 with Wednesday's 4-3 shootout victory against Buffalo, but suffered its first loss since October 29. The Bruins dropped three in a row to end a 3-7-0 first month of the season.
"I don't think it's the end of the world that it ended tonight," Bruins coach Claude Julien said of the winning streak closing. "There's nothing wrong with the game we played tonight."
Detroit grabbed the lead on Filppula's tip-in with 7:17 left in the first period, and had a quick answer after the Bruins scored their first goal.
Early in the second period, Howard went to play the puck behind the net but Horton grabbed control. Howard scrambled to get back in the crease, but couldn't get there before Horton dished to Paille for a backhander at 4:05.
However, just 35 seconds later, Datsyuk used a strong move to the net to make it a 2-1 game.
Bertuzzi fed the puck from the right boards to the circle for Datsyuk, who managed to squeeze between several defenders to beat Rask with a wrister.
Patrice Bergeron netted the equalizer for Boston at 7:52 of the third period, but Howard and Rask were strong for the remainder of regulation.
Datsyuk went second in the shootout and scored with a wrister, and Horton kept the Bruins alive by beating Howard high to the glove side.
The Bruins were aiming for their first 11-game winning streak since a 13-game tear from Feb. 23-March 20, 1971...Detroit has won four in a row against Boston, which hasn't won in the series since November 29, 2008...The teams totaled only six penalties, all minors. They were 0-for-5 on power plays.
- DETROIT: 3
Final - 2OT
Nov 25 3:55 PM
- DETROIT: 2
End of OT
Nov 25 3:49 PM
- DETROIT: 2
End of Regulation
Nov 25 3:38 PM
- Boston Goal - Patrice Bergeron, at 7:52.
Red Wings 2, Bruins 2 3rd - 12:08Nov 25 3:18 PM
- DETROIT: 2
End of 2nd
Nov 25 2:47 PM
- Detroit Goal - Pavel Datsyuk, at 4:40.
Red Wings 2, Bruins 1 2nd - 15:20Nov 25 2:19 PM
- Boston Goal - Daniel Paille (3), from Nathan Horton at 4:05.
Red Wings 1, Bruins 1 2nd - 15:55Nov 25 2:18 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 1st
Nov 25 1:55 PM
- Cory Emmerton wrist shot on Tuukka Rask.
Red Wings 1, Bruins 0 1st - 6:47Nov 25 1:43 PM
- Johnny Boychuk wrist shot on Jimmy Howard.
Red Wings 0, Bruins 0 1st - 7:25Nov 25 1:42 PM
- Detroit Goal - Valtteri Filppula (5), at 12:43.
Red Wings 1, Bruins 0 1st - 7:17Nov 25 1:42 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 25 1:22 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24