Datsyuk helps Wings down KingsNov 20, 2011 - 12:30 AM
Niklas Kronwall and Justin Abdelkader also scored for the Red Wings, who halted a five-game road losing streak.
Jimmy Howard made 23 saves in the win.
"This is the best game we've played in a while," said Howard. "We stuck with our game plan."
Mike Richards scored his second short-handed goal in as many games, while Jonathan Quick made 34 saves for the Kings, who had won three straight.
Richards, who also registered a short-handed tally Thursday at Anaheim, gave the Kings a 1-0 lead early in the first period, beating Howard with a backhand just eight seconds into a Justin Williams tripping call.
He is the first Kings players to score short-handed goals in consecutive games since Ziggy Palffy did so in 2001.
But Datsyuk tied the game midway through the first, chipping in a backhander off a rebound for a power play goal.
At the 7:08 mark of the second period, the Red Wings again struck on the power play, as Kronwall lifted a goal-line pass from Tomas Holstrom past Quick for a 2-1 advantage.
Abdelkader's wrister late in the second made it a 3-1 contest and Datsyuk capped the scoring with a late-game snap shot past Quick.
"By the end of the second period they had the game going the way they wanted it," said Kings coach Terry Murray. "We just weren't skating the way we had in the last three games."
This was the first of four meetings between the Red Wings and Kings this season...Richards has tallied six goals over his last six games.
- DETROIT: 4
LOS ANGELES: 1
Nov 19 7:06 PM
- Detroit Goal - Pavel Datsyuk (4), at 15:06.
Red Wings 4, Kings 1 3rd - 4:54Nov 19 6:25 PM
- DETROIT: 3
LOS ANGELES: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 19 5:42 PM
- Detroit Goal - Justin Abdelkader (2), at 15:38.
Red Wings 3, Kings 1 2nd - 4:22Nov 19 5:33 PM
- Matt Greene slap shot is wide.
Red Wings 2, Kings 1 2nd - 12:12Nov 19 5:15 PM
- DETROIT: 1
LOS ANGELES: 1
End of 1st
Nov 19 4:44 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Tomas Holmstrom (2), from Nicklas Lidstrom at 7:14.
Red Wings 1, Kings 1 1st - 12:46Nov 19 4:21 PM
- Los Angeles Short-Handed Goal - Mike Richards (8), at 6:37.
Red Wings 0, Kings 1 1st - 13:23Nov 19 4:20 PM
- DETROIT: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 19 4:09 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30