Markov's OT tally lifts Montreal over New JerseyJan 28, 2013 - 3:02 AM
The Devils fought back from a pair of two-goal deficits to force overtime. With 59 seconds left in the extra session, New Jersey defenseman Andy Greene went to the penalty box for holding.
Montreal won the ensuing faceoff and Rene Bourque fired a one-timer that went wide of the net. The puck caromed off the end boards and Markov chipped it over a prone Martin Brodeur, giving the Canadiens their first home win over New Jersey since March 11, 2008. They had lost eight straight to the Devils at the Bell Centre.
"It's the kind of play that when you have a penalty in overtime we didn't win the faceoff and they set up a play, missed the net and it could have gone elsewhere, but it came back to Markov in front of the net," Brodeur said.
Brandon Prust, Ryan White and Brendan Gallagher also lit the lamp for Montreal, which has won three straight since losing to Toronto on opening night. Carey Price made 22 saves.
"It was a challenge for us against a team which had not lost," Markov said. "We stuck with our system and it worked."
Patrik Elias and David Clarkson each registered a goal and two assists for the Devils, who were bidding to start 4-0 for the first time since 1995-96. Brodeur stopped 28 shots.
Prust made it 3-1 at the two-minute mark of the third period, driving the net and batting Alex Galchenyuk's pass out of the air through Brodeur.
Prust and Galchenyuk were then whistled for concurrent high-sticking penalties at 4:32. New Jersey scored less than a minute into the two-man advantage.
Travis Zajac and Clarkson were positioned outside the crease and Elias' first pass from below the right circle didn't get through. The puck came right back to Elias and he threw it into the crease, where it was knocked in by Clarkson at 5:23.
Elias delivered a behind-the-back pass to Dainius Zubrus for the game-tying goal with 6:58 to go in regulation. The assist was the 900th point of Elias' career.
The Devils came in having surrendered only three goals in their first three games -- all in the third period. Montreal put two pucks past Brodeur in the opening frame.
White gave the Canadiens a 1-0 lead after New Jersey's Travis Zajac rang a shot off the post on an odd-man rush 40 seconds into the contest. Travis Moen tipped Alexei Emelin's one-timer from the point and White backhanded home the rebound at 2:25.
A pair of rookies combined to make it 2-0 with 6:25 remaining. Greene turned the puck over after gloving it at his own blue line. Galchenyuk, the third player taken in the 2012 draft, jumped on the disc and fed Gallagher, who beat Brodeur for his first NHL goal.
Elias put the Devils on the board at the 3:26 mark of the second period by deflecting Mark Fayne's wrister from the right point.
White found the back of the net for the first time since April 9, 2011 ... The Devils had outscored the Habs 26-10 during their eight-game winning streak at Montreal that began Dec. 6, 2008.
- NEW JERSEY: 3
Final - OT
Jan 27 8:47 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - Andrei Markov (4), from Erik Cole and Rene Bourque at 4:22.
Devils 3, Canadiens 4 OT - 0:38Jan 27 8:47 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 3
End of Regulation
Jan 27 8:36 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Dainius Zubrus, from Patrik Elias and David Clarkson at 13:02.
Devils 3, Canadiens 3 3rd - 6:58Jan 27 8:20 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - David Clarkson (3), from Patrik Elias at 5:23.
Devils 2, Canadiens 3 3rd - 14:37Jan 27 8:08 PM
- Montreal Goal - Brandon Prust, from Alex Galchenyuk at 2:00.
Devils 1, Canadiens 3 3rd - 18:00Jan 27 8:01 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 27 7:41 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Patrik Elias (2), at 3:26.
Devils 1, Canadiens 2 2nd - 16:34Jan 27 7:11 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Jan 27 6:49 PM
- Shot blocked by Andrei Markov.
Devils 0, Canadiens 2 1st - 5:28Jan 27 6:36 PM
- Brendan Gallagher shot on Martin Brodeur.
Devils 0, Canadiens 1 1st - 6:25Jan 27 6:34 PM
- Montreal Goal - Brendan Gallagher, at 13:35.
Devils 0, Canadiens 2 1st - 6:25Jan 27 6:34 PM
- Montreal Goal - Ryan White, from Alexei Emelin at 2:25.
Devils 0, Canadiens 1 1st - 17:35Jan 27 6:15 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 27 6:11 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Capitals are not running from Stanley Cup expectations Apr 12
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11