New England edges D.C. UnitedMar 26, 2011 - 11:09 PM Foxborough, MA (Sports Network) - Zach Schilawski and Shalrie Joseph scored in a nine-minute span of the first half and the New England Revolution edged D.C. United, 2-1, on Saturday at Gillette Stadium in Major League Soccer.
Schilawski scored in the eighth minute and Joseph added his second goal of the season in the 17th, sparking New England (1-0-1) to a win in its home opener.
United (1-1-0) got a late goal from Charlie Davies, who leads the league with three goals after two matches.
New England earned a 1-1 draw the Los Angeles Galaxy on Sunday, and Schilawski fired the Revolution into an early lead with his first goal of the season less than 10 minutes into the match.
Joseph converted from the penalty spot in the 17th minute after Pat Phelan was fouled in the area, and New England held the two-goal advantage until the last minutes.
Davies, who scored twice in last week's 3-1 win over the Columbus Crew, scored a penalty kick the 91st minute, but D.C. couldn't respond again over the final minutes.
New England hosts the winless expansion Portland Timbers on April 2 and United visits the defending MLS Cup champion Colorado Rapids on April 3.
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12