Columbus tops 10-man FCDApr 2, 2011 - 1:39 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Second-half goals from Andres Mendoza and Eddie Gaven helped the Columbus Crew to a 2-0 win over 10-man FC Dallas on Friday at Crew Stadium.
Dallas defender Jackson Goncalves picked up a pair of yellow cards one minute apart in the first half, and the Crew (1-1-1) took advantage after the break as Mendoza converted a penalty kick in the 54th minute, with Gaven killing off the match in stoppage time with his first goal of the campaign.
Mendoza squandered a good chance early in the match when he missed the net from eight yards, but Goncalves saw red in the 35th minute after he received a second yellow card for a foul on Gaven.
It took until after the break for Columbus to open the scoring, however, as the Crew's Emmanuel Ekpo was brought down inside the penalty area by George John.
Mendoza took the spot kick and struck the ball to goalkeeper Kevin Hartman's left. Hartman guessed correctly and got a hand to the shot, but he was unable to keep it out.
A pair of chances from Jeff Cunningham and Dilly Duka were both missed as Columbus tried to add to its lead, but Gaven ended the suspense when he curled a shot inside the left post from the edge of the penalty area as the game entered stoppage time.
Dallas (0-2-1) has now earned just one point from its first three games this season.
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12