Stolica salvages draw for RevsApr 7, 2011 - 4:18 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - Ilija Stolica scored deep into stoppage time to help the New England Revolution salvage a 1-1 draw against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday at Empire Field.
The game saw three players receive red cards as Vancouver (1-1-2) had two men sent off in the opening 56 minutes, while New England (1-0-3) also lost a man 15 minutes from time.
The Revs came close to opening the scoring in the first half through Stephen McCarthy, but his header was cleared off the goal line by Nizar Khalfan.
However, Vancouver lost Gershon Koffie to a straight red card on the stroke of halftime after he elbowed New England's Pat Phelan.
Despite being down a man, the Whitecaps took the lead from the penalty spot as Camilo was tripped inside the area, allowing Eric Hassli to fire the ball home from the spot.
But Hassli got a bit too excited after scoring the goal as he removed his shirt, earning himself a second yellow card and reducing the hosts to nine men.
Vancouver did extremely well despite being shorthanded, and the situation improved when New England's A.J. Soares was sent off in the 75th minute.
The Revs began to threaten over the final 10 minutes of the match, and they finally found the equalizer in the dying moments when Phelan's cross was nodded down into the path of Stolica, who fired home from close range.
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7