Gordon burns Galaxy with late equalizerJun 12, 2011 - 5:20 AM Carson, CA (Sports Network) - Alan Gordon made quite a return to The Home Depot Center on Saturday as he scored two goals, including the equalizer in the 94th minute, to help Toronto FC earn a 2-2 draw with the Los Angeles Galaxy, his former team.
The game was dominated by L.A. over the first 45 minutes, with Chris Birchall scoring for the hosts inside of two minutes with a shot that beat Toronto goalkeeper Stefan Frei from the top of the penalty area.
Miguel Lopez struck the post for the Galaxy (8-2-7) a few minutes later, and Juan Pablo Angel was also denied by the woodwork before halftime as L.A. took a lead into the break.
But the visitors answered in the second half when Gordon headed home a left- wing cross from Danleigh Borman, which snapped a streak of 478 minutes without conceding a goal for the Galaxy.
Maicon Santos then had a rocket from 20 yards come back off the crossbar one minute later as Toronto (2-5-8) continued to threaten.
The game remained locked at 1-1 entering stoppage time, but Angel appeared to snatch all three points for the hosts when Todd Dunivant's deflected shot dropped into his path, allowing the Colombian to rip a volley past Frei.
However, Gordon wasn't done tormenting his old side as he left goalkeeper Josh Saunders with no chance on a well-struck volley of his own that was perfectly placed from inside the area.
TFC's winless streak was extended to six games with the result, but it has to be a good point for the team, while the Galaxy is now unbeaten in its last eight but will feel as though two points were lost in this match.
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19