Ten-man Seattle leaves it late at TorontoJun 19, 2011 - 1:42 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Seattle Sounders FC didn't even need 11 players to beat Toronto FC on Saturday.
Fredy Montero scored in the 90th minute and 10-man Seattle edged Toronto, 1-0, at BMO Field to extend the Canadian club's winless streak to eight matches in Major League Soccer.
Despite playing over 40 minutes with just 10 players following the ejection of defender John Kennedy Hurtado, Seattle (6-4-7) extended its undefeated run to four matches.
Toronto (2-6-9), which last won May 7 against the Houston Dynamo, was shutout for the fifth time during its eight-game slide. TFC is winless in four matches at home during the winless streak with two losses and two draws.
Seattle nearly scored inside two minutes, as Michael Fucito skimmed the right post on an angled shot from the left side. From that point, Toronto FC had the only shot on goal in the first half.
Hurtado's ejection four minutes after half - he earned his second yellow card for a foul on Alen Stevanovic - gave Toronto a man advantage, but the Canadian side failed to take advantage.
Javier Martina hit the right post in the 81st minute for Toronto, but that was one of the few chances over the final 40 minutes for the home side.
Montero punished Toronto in the final minute, as he curled a 25-yard free kick around the wall and into the upper-right corner for his third goal of the year and the match-winner.
Seattle will try to build on the win Thursday when it hosts Red Bull New York. Toronto takes its winless streak to Real Salt Lake on June 25.
- SEATTLE: 1
TORONTO FC: 0
Jun 18 9:03 PM
- Seattle Sounders FC Goal - Montero (3) 90th minute.
Sounders FC 1, Toronto FC 0 2nd - 90'Jun 18 8:59 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
TORONTO FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 18 7:08 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19