Fever top Shock, reach first WNBA finalsSep 27, 2009 - 4:43 AM INDIANAPOLIS(AP) -- The Indiana Fever advanced to the WNBA finals for the first time, beating the defending champion Detroit Shock 72-67 on Saturday night in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals.
The Fever, who were eliminated by the Shock the last three seasons, open the finals on Tuesday against Phoenix.
Tammy Sutton-Brown led the Fever with 17 points. Katie Douglas scored 14, and Ebony Hoffman and Tamika Catchings added 10 apiece. Catchings also had eight rebounds, five assists and three steals.
Deanna Nolan had 16 points for Detroit. Alexis Hornbuckle scored 15 before fouling out with 18 seconds to play. Cheryl Ford finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds.
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign WNBA finals MVP Sylvia Fowles Feb 2
- New York Liberty sign free agent Shavonte Zellous Feb 1
- WNBA free agency begins, Liberty signs Indiana guard Zellous Feb 1